fixed blade. what you using

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Happy christmas everyone first of all
for years now iv been using a mick wardell woodlore type spear blade knife which i cant fault but other than cheap knives i had over ten years ago iv not got much experiance with other styles of blades. Iv been thinking about gettng somthing new but not sure which way to go traditional type blade,custon made or maybe even somthing mass made like a enzo.
I was wondering what you are using or maybe you have some recomendations of makers styles etc
any help will be great thanks

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Mora 511 with the guard cut off in the main

DSCN1619grgr.jpg

or the Hultafors HVK

HultaforsHVK.jpg

I have a good selection of custom builds but i turn to the 511 & HVK as my everyday go to blades

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Until recently, a BG Bushcrafter which i did the Woodlore Fundamentals with. Superb knife, takes and holds an edge well and is a joy to use. It's now fitted to my bushy belt kit, in a Black Sheep sheath, so will still get a lot of use even though I've just bought an Alan Wood "Tamarack":D, yet to be used in "anger",bit throws sparks from a ferro rod well and I've prepped a few feathersticks with it to date.

BG Bushcrafter...
SDC14377.jpg

Simon

Last edited:

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Thats my kind of knife simon very nice similar to what iv got at the moment but with abit more of a bely on the blade. Oh and nice feather stick

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Thats my kind of knife simon very nice similar to what iv got at the moment but with abit more of a bely on the blade. Oh and nice feather stick

The feather stick was for a "fun" challenge on here a couple of years ago...very frustrating to do until you get the hang of it. Not to be attempted with a blunt knife either!

Simon

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
There all real nice knives
prawnstar out of interest how do you find that style of blade for usability have you used a bushcraft spear point type blade to compare

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have a selection of 3 or 4 hand made ones, have a look at my website for some pic's of what i make, my most used is the black corrian handle with yellow liners....

regards.

chris.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I/ve got several fixed blades (all standard factory knives except for one kukhuri) The ones that get the most use though are in one of two classes:

1st, a classic bowie blade of 5-7 inches

or

2nd, a filleting knife (6 inches when inland or 9 inches on the coast)

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
5f9644b5-8238-d5c8.jpg

Hers mine i talked about its been a cracking knife. I quite fancy trying somthing similar but with less of a spear point and more of a longer straight cutting edge and more or a curve towards the tip
Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
My two favourites currently are
A Rob Evans Bushtool which is very sharp and just feels "real" in the hand.I'm sure it can handle anything I'm likely to need it for.
and
A lovely little puuko style blade with an olive handle I got from John Fenna.I just have to use it so take it along anyway.
Both of these knives have been on my table for cutting salami many times and always much admired.
If I'm working with the Scouts though I use a Mora to show them that they don't need an expensive or handmade knife to cut effectively.
You pays your money and takes your choice (frequently in my case : I should get rid of some of the ones I don't use I suppose.).
Cheers , Simon

Bluebs4

Aug 12, 2011
Bristol
Been using my Mark hill corian damascus custom ,everything else feels odd now,don't know if this because iv had a lot of time out with it ,or because it's a masterpiece :0)

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
There all real nice knives
prawnstar out of interest how do you find that style of blade for usability have you used a bushcraft spear point type blade to compare

I have used a spear point before, my main user for years was a BG woodlore clone.I've not noticed any difference as to the point though. This knife is almost a spear point, just not as 'pointy' as most others.

The main difference and in fact the reason I wanted a new knife at all was for the extra inch in length. The SK-5 is 5 inches long and I've been used to 3.5 or 4 inch knives before. The extra inch makes batoning and preparing firewood a lot easier. The stainless blade is one less thing to worry about and it does throw a good shower of sparks off a ferro rod. My only worry was the flat grind as I've only used Scandi grinds previously but its great to use. In fact it makes feather sticks easier than a scandi, cutting less aggressively into the grain of the wood.

Sent from my iToaster using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE