Fishing with thorns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I like fishing but in the past i have killed a few fish because the fish manage to swallow the hook right down deep into ntheir insides! I dont like killing anything :eek:

Would i have the same trouble if i fished with thorns?

How would you degouge a thorn hook?

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
jon r said:
I like fishing but in the past i have killed a few fish because the fish manage to swallow the hook right down deep into ntheir insides! I dont like killing anything :eek:

Killing can be learned, I break a trout's neck with as little concern as a dried twig. You will be hardened if you do it a lot.

They would probably swallow it, I don't think it would work well if not. I have not tested thorns, but they are definately worth investigating.

Welsh Dragon

Mar 29, 2007
North Wales
I do some sea fishing and I know there is a type of hook available called "Circle hooks". As the name suggests they are more of a rounded shape an increases the chances of lip hooking a fish and lessens the chance of the fish swallowing the hook down
I think they were first used by longliners for more speed reasons than anything, I've never tried them myself but some sea anglers swear by them.

Brian

akabu

Tenderfoot
Apr 23, 2006
USA
Jon R, yes the thorns will most likely be swallowed ,circle hooks are your best bet .Very good for bait fishing as they almost hook themselves :D

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I guess whatever hook you use the way to prevent deep hooking is ensuring sensitive bite indication.
I used to do a lot of lure fishing, always crushed the barbs so all hooks were barbless. Always use good unhooking kit, various pairs of forcepts (or pliers for luring).
I agree, it is really sad to deep hook and be forced to kill a fish that you planned to return to the water.
Good bite indication - thats the trick.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
jon r said:

I have to say, if you plan to return the fish, don't fish with thorns or bone hook. as Both are a real pain to retrive from live fish. Fish using modern barbless hooks that are slightly larger than the mouth of your target fish, I find this causes the fish to "mouth the bait" there by giving you an indication that the fish are about. People today seem to go for ridiculously small hooks and weak terminus tackle (to make things sporting???) or massive hooks and huge amounts of additive coated chemical baits. (So called specimen fishermen)
I’ve been fishing since I was eleven and have to say that if the hook is too small to tie by hand it’s too small to use, unless of course you are going for a record minnow or gudgeon. ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE