Fishing round my way

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Had a great day out yesterday, did a bit of walking n' fishing and ended up at my little gem loch, although she wasn't playing ball (read the description from this youtube link for the details and to see my weeist ever trout from here go back).

Round here it's hill loch fishing for brown trout or stream (burn) fishing for brown trout that spend most of their lives in the sea, it's been a good year for these, although I didn't get any much over two pounds this year, but there's hope yet especially if the rain materialised tonight/tomorrow and doesn't pussy foot around.

Here's a few photos to compliment the video linked above;

Traveling light.jpgTroots .jpgTrout from the sea.jpgTypical sea trout .jpg2lb+ Trout.jpg

Last edited:

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
Lovely :)

Sounds like a great day out and some nice fish. The one in the last picture looks very dark compared to the others.

With a bit of luck, i'll be out throwing a line again next week.

Edit

Not had much luck with the Daddys this year, there seems to be very few about. Bloodworm was my weapon of choice last time out, fished static in a slight ripple worked best.

Last edited:

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Lovely :)

Sounds like a great day out and some nice fish. The one in the last picture looks very dark compared to the others.

With a bit of luck, i'll be out throwing a line again next week.

Edit

Not had much luck with the Daddys this year, there seems to be very few about. Bloodworm was my weapon of choice last time out, fished static in a slight ripple worked best.

Aye, the two dark fish are from the same lochan, both caught this year. The bigger one back in July and the smaller one yesterday, and thats the one featured in the video link.

All the others are from "the Burn" just along the road and I suppose some would call them sea trout. I've had 50 or 60 from the Burn this year but around 80% have gone back.

The trout in our hill lochs aren't too fussy, and whilst I'm likely just getting lazy, I find the basic foam daddy deadly from around the time things warm up, which was as late as mid July this year but usually the end of May, which is strange as the naturals aren't about that early, but the trout are taking terrestrials, I think it's the legs. In the last few years out of the loch in the photo above, I've had maybe 6 or 7 fish all over 2lb one pushing 3.

Anyway hope you get out for a splash, I'll be lucky to get out more than a couple of times before the season ends.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Cracking stuff! Since the move I haven't been out near as much as I'd like, looking to start fishing the Eden for some brownies and there's supposed to be a lot of grayling too. The lakes here themselves have got good pike I've heard but not a great deal of trout and tourists etc mean it's not great fishing but some of the rivers cocker, Eden and derwent are supposed to great :)

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Cracking stuff! Since the move I haven't been out near as much as I'd like, looking to start fishing the Eden for some brownies and there's supposed to be a lot of grayling too. The lakes here themselves have got good pike I've heard but not a great deal of trout and tourists etc mean it's not great fishing but some of the rivers cocker, Eden and derwent are supposed to great :)

They've a good reputation and I've always fancied trying my hand at fishing North Country Spiders, a very popular style of fly used on the rivers of the north of England and Southern Scotland. Oliver Edwards has a great video out looking at the old traditional upstream wet fly technique.

Here's a taster from youtube;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge7Cl6ltAAs

If I were in your location I'd be getting into some of that ;)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Good stuff, cheers for the link! I plan on diving head first into ASAP, so hopefully I'll be up there soon, you can get day tickets which is great - saves me paying for a years membership when I wouldn't always get the benefit from it (busy all the time) and I can explore and see which stretch of which river I like best

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE