Fish trap? keep net?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
At the weekend the middle son (8) insisted on buying this

Teds%20bag.JPG

at the car boot in Bolton. It was his 4 quid and was preferable to the plastic rubish he had been eyeing up.

His idea is to use it to carry crabs and other beach found fauna about in (whats wrong with a bucket?). Anyroad, does anyone know what it is really for? Is it some sort of fish trap? It has a big bail handle to which is attached a lenght of rope and a spike for tethering it, the lid is sprung closed and the metal plate at the base says it was made in France.

Curious of Waterfoot

IJ55

Forager
Mar 29, 2009
UK
That is a live bait keep bag. you fling your live bait in it and just put it over the side of the boat to keep the fish nice and perky ready for use.

Very common in France and the Med areas for youngsters fishing off small boats.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for that! I'm not a fisherman (or well travelled for that matter) so I wouldn't have guessed it was for live bait.

Infact I think the last person to go fishing in my family did it with a lump of gun cotton out in Malaya about '58!

Thanks!

Tom

Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
The new ones have a top that is plastic and floats. They are used a lot in the US. I can't tell the size but we use them for carrying what we call "pan fish". Hang them over the side til it's time to clean and you have fresh fish. I had a 7 Lb. northern pike bust through one last summer.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Also remember this type of keep net is illegal to use in fresh water in the UK. There is quite strict guidelines on what can and cannot be used for keeping live fish in, even bait. The ones that the pound shops were selling last year all got pulled from the shelves due to being an illegal size.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
Roma i used these last year over your way they are great we had them full of sucker minnows and they keps fine for the full week we were there.

Just in case, Livebait fishing is now illegal in scotland, crazy, i was in wisconsin last year and the tackle shops had live bait for sale in the shop, if only we were as organised.

Mar 15, 2009
Wisconsin
If you speak with the rest of the states they would roll thier eyes and sigh about Wisconsin. Organized rockabilly and drinking. But we have a lot of water and fish.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE