Side pocket compatibility on Berghaus Centurio

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Having looked after it for about 20 years ( it was the first year they used black buckles on them) my beloved Berghaus Munro is finally showing its age. The elastic around the lid is long perished, the straps are wearing, the seams are starting to pull though and a fair bit is already re sewn where the titching broke. Ill still use it but I fancy something with out a mouse hole patched on the base.

i seriously considered just getting another Munro but am now considering a Berghaus Centurio . Both sizes have the features I want, the only real difference is size, 30 and 45 litres. Since I have a perfectly good 50 litre MacPac there's not a lot of point getting a 45 litre so its logical to go for the 30. It would be nice to be able to expand that 30 at times by the use of side pockets, which the Centurio is designed to take but which frankly cost a bomb if you buy the ones meant for it. However I have a original Berghaus Crusader got when I was a student in Stoke, brand new via a Squaddie who'd been issued it but had already bought his own. Anyroad if I remember right the zips on the side pockets on that go the opposite way to those on on the PLCE bag I got for one of th lads.

Now will either of them fit on a Centurio? It wouldn't be that hard to reverse the zips on a pair of PLCE pouches anyway and I've a unused day sack rig thing with two got in a bargain bucket for no good reason except it was dirt cheap.

ATB

Tom

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
1980s era Vulcan - no either way
2010s era Vulcan - only upside down
PLCE ones fit upside down

Centrino 30 + MMPS pouches
Munro
PLCE pouches

BerghausCentrino30_zps03e9a98e.jpg

PLCE ones fit upside down:

BerghausCentrino303_zps1e484b98.jpg

HTH

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks thats the perfect answer!

So it looks like, since I have them already I'll be doing a little sewing. No bother so long as I keep organised and they go back on the way they need to!

Just have to save my pennies for a Centurio 30Ltr now

ATB

Tom

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Too short :(

Sorry for the thread hijack tombear, I'll leave you with it now :)

Cheers,

Stuart.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No worries!

By a happy coincidence another member of this parish has a 30 L Centurio with side pockets that is surplus to their requirements so we have arranged a mutually beneficial swap via the cheap agency of My Hermes! I'm getting rid of a embarrassing draw queen I never even took out of the house and acquiring something I wanted inordinately. A double win!

ATB

Tom

Last edited:

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Years ago i picked up a pair of karrimor side pockets at a jumble sale on the off chance they fitted the Wifes bag. They don't and have sat in the bottom of a draw ever since. if they are any use to anyone just say. so long as I get me postage back you can hasve them.

karrimorPouchjes_zpsbec48d79.jpg

They have stiff backs.

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Just a quick note to say my swapped for Centurio 30 with side pockets arrived today and I am chuffed to bits with it. Unfortunately the FFD pouch I habitually have on the left shoulder strap I stripped from my knackered Munro won't fit on on it. So I'm now looking for a olive FFD pouch. Arktis make one but are there any alternative out there?

ATB

Tom

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Tom do you think the Karrimor side pockets could fit on the Munro side compression straps with a little fettling?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Tea consumed and sidepockets found.

imagejpg1_zpsfee8a854.jpg

Looking at them you would need to reposition the top ring on each side pocket and recut or slightly enlarge two of the slots on the plastic strip that runs up the back edge of each pockets bag side.

if that makes any sense.

atb

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Sorry I forgot to say , if you want them PM me a address to send them to an ill put my address on the back so you can send me the postage, which will probably be 2 to 3 quid. I'd have only paid pence for them at the jumble sle.

atb

tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
The side pockets looked slightly smaller than my old Crusader or PLCE ones so while I'm fettling it I decided to see if my zebra and old Thermette would fit and happily it does, just. I may lose the kartimat padding as the zebra armours the copper well enough.

imagejpg1_zps0984722f.jpg

imagejpg2_zps3c32388a.jpg

Just need to source a new FFD pouch to go on the left shoulder strap and a pouch to go on the molle straps on the back to take a U-Dig-It, lighter and loo roll etc.

ATB

Tom

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Thanks for checking that Tom, much appreciated. I'll take you up on your offer if I may, very kind of you :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE