Ash Walking Staff

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Last week the middle son dumped a long ash hoe handle on me when clearing out his room. I've no idea what he had got it for but since it had a good grain ( the pics don't do it justice ) and was 1.5" diameter i thought I could make a shoulder high walking staff, something I've always wanted but never bothered to make, less single use lengths of coppice willow or hazel cut on the hoof.

Anyroad I carved it down to a more comfortable 1 1/4" tapering down to 1 inch at the bottom, gave it a rub with coarse sandpaper and carved the top into a knob. Herself ordered me a 1" dia Alpine spike ferule and several rubber tips for use on hard surfaces off of ebay which I fitted along with a leather wrist strap.(suitably weakened so I won't break my wrist if I go over ) finished length is 58 inchs and it weighs 1 lb 15oz, slightly lighter than my heavy hawthorn stick i use daily.

It's had innumerable coats of linseed oil, it was very thirsty.

I took it out yesterday for a five miler and once I got used to a different grip it helped no end, especially going down hill with a two handed grip. I certainly have more confidence in it than my Leki poles. Unfortunately I am currently, very, very fat and heavy.

YarWCtm.jpg

oMd6HMY.jpg

foo6Xf7.jpg

Not a big project but satisfying and useful.

ATB

Tom

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
True but one of the farmers around here said to me a couple of years back "I knew he was a bl**dy tourist, he was using two sticks!" :)
I did my ankle in when I was in naval training. They only had one crutch in stores so they gave it to me and told me to get on with it. Really did my back in, the physio I seen three weeks later was fuming and went off on one at the naval staff.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I did my ankle in when I was in naval training. They only had one crutch in stores so they gave it to me and told me to get on with it. Really did my back in, the physio I seen three weeks later was fuming and went off on one at the naval staff.

True enough, but that’s carrying a specific injury. A single pole is fine for occasional balance and a bit of a shove forwards when necessary.

I’ve had a very knackered left hip for years, needing replacing. Due to my age the consultant wanted me to wait as long as I could so as not to have a revision in 20+ years time, so for the last couple of years I’ve been favouring my right, and for at least a year using a pole in my right hand.

The hip is repairing very nicely and according to plan, but my neck, shoulder, and middle left back are giving me a lot of pain. Suddenly looking up, or having one of the dogs pull and the pain is pretty acute. The physio I’m seeing says I should have been using two in my circumstances.

Anyway, enough of this medical, physio talk. That’s a really nice looking pole you’ve made there. I’m finishing a Blackthorn I’ve been mucking about with for years on and off, it’s satisfying making sticks. :)

Reactions: JediTimbo

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE