First trip to Galloway Forest Park

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Hi. I've been lurking on here for a while, finally got around to posting. A couple of friends and I were planning on heading up to Galloway Forest Park for a few days later in the month. Due to other commitments we're now looking to go this weekend, so very short notice!

Reading around on here, I was thinking of the area around Caldons Campsite as we don't fancy being too far from the car park for our first non-managed course multi-day trip. But I'm not entirely sure where it is. I'm assuming it's this car park, but is this right?

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place...5127,644m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

We're hammocking, so from here and looking at various satellite maps it looks like we should be able to pootle off in to the trees. Or is there somewhere better we should be looking at?

Thanks

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
Well, the gears all sorted, and we're ready for the off early Saturday morning. Hoping the weather holds, and we're heading for the right place :) Fingers crossed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
Considering the fact that its practically on my doorstep I hardly go upto into Scotland, really I should go camping there more. For some reason I tend to go to the lake district which just isn't as nice.

Tell us how you get on.

pixelseventy2

May 11, 2015
Stoke-on-Trent
It's looking about a 5 hour trip for us, but given we're planning 3 nights figured it's best to go somewhere wild camping is allowed :) Still working on trying to find somewhere closer to home where we can get permission. Got a few irons in the fire.

Will try and take photos and do a write up.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Try loch doon area

No offence jim1h, perhaps you have not been up there recently.

I have visited and stayed over at loch doon several times over the years, I went up last year to recce for a 2 night camp area.

My impression was that pretty much everything has been done (by whom I do not know) to make Loch Doon as uninviting as possible for camping within a reasonable distance from where a vehicle can be parked, so uninviting compared to what it used to be, I found it depressing and with many eyesores, needless to say I did not return to make camp there.

But plenty of really nice other areas in the Galloway to visit and stay over in.

jim1h

May 5, 2011
Liverpool
No offence jim1h, perhaps you have not been up there recently.

I have visited and stayed over at loch doon several times over the years, I went up last year to recce for a 2 night camp area.

My impression was that pretty much everything has been done (by whom I do not know) to make Loch Doon as uninviting as possible for camping within a reasonable distance from where a vehicle can be parked, so uninviting compared to what it used to be, I found it depressing and with many eyesores, needless to say I did not return to make camp there.

But plenty of really nice other areas in the Galloway to visit and stay over in.
5b9247b41564e4aed67fd70508a671aa.jpg

Been up a couple of times this year. You do get some idiots leaving a mess but the rangers do a good job of tidying up and patrol the area. Wouldn't say it was depressing or uninviting at all. But each to his own.

0f52074c5c2b1ea9550ddc4ccda00828.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE