First Time Winter Hammocking

Hi Guys,

Well, I've been hammocking since around April and love every minute of it, but tommorow is my first winter outing and I'm a little concerned about the low temps in our area recently!

The absolute lowest I would expect would be around -15c

My kit is as follows:

DD Frontline Hammock
DD Tarp - regular size
Snugpak SF2 bag
Snugpak Underblanket
Thermarest (3/4 length)

I have all adequate clothing (base layers, fleece lined trousers etc).

Would really like your thoughts on the suitability of my kit for this kind of temperature, and also any hints and tips for making a warmer, more comfortable experience.

Cheers

Mark

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've been down to pretty near to those temps with a similar setup without any probs. I had the Snugpak Elite 4 bag and the underblanket but I didn't use a Thermarest. I reckon you'll be fine.

Take a couple of pairs of thick wool socks to slip on at bedtime, cold feet can be annoying in the middle of the night. You can also chuck some of your warm clothes in between the layers of your hammock too which will help a bit.

If you can bring yourself to do it, strip off your outer layers and just sleep in your base layers, you'll feel the benefit of your bag much better than being fully clothed. It took me ages to build up the courage to try this but it really does work.

Stick a wool beanie or balaclava on too.

Karl82

Oct 15, 2010
Leicester
hey oakhill i got prity much the same setup only thing im gona do diffrent at North Woods this mounth compared to you is take a wool blanket and drap it over a ridgeline to form a cocoon with the underblanket but i have never tryed it just a idear i have les wind getting to me and smaller air pocket to warmup = warmer.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I say you will be fine too. Ive been down to those temps in my hammock with no probs. Make sure you get in the bug net side-it adds warmth. If you dont sleep in your jacket, wrap it round your feet. The cold air may wake you in the night-a buff of some sort may help, but I never bother with one.

By far the most dificult part of cold hammocking is getting out of your toasty comfortable pit in the morning-keeping your stove, lighter, kettle and tea/coffee within arms reach is a good idea! :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
By far the most dificult part of cold hammocking is getting out of your toasty comfortable pit in the morning-keeping your stove, lighter, kettle and tea/coffee within arms reach is a good idea! :)

Ahh, breakfast from the hammock :)

I had intentions to try this last weekend but once I'd got up to water the plants I never got back in again. Plus the snow was tempting me out :)

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
went out last night in -8 with a homemade underquilt and my sleeping bag and clothes, almost too warm.
your setup should be fine.

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the advice so far. I feel much more optimistic now than I did earlier! I have a buff/shemagh/scarf and plenty of warm socks etc as I really enjoy winter hiking.

Before I had an underblanket I used the thermarest and SF2, now I just use the underblanket and SF2, but I think tommorow I will use the full combo just to be sure!

Warm clothes between the layers seems like a good idea............but I'm dreading the thought of having to strip right down to base in sub zero temps! Willing to give it a try though.

This outing is with my bushcrafting buddy Steve (Silverhill Forge) who is debating the pros and cons of going to ground. I can see the advantages of a bivvy, but the thought of 8inches of snow and wet undergrowth puts me off! lol

Well, we are back safe n sound! It wasn't as cold as expected but wunderground recorded a low of -4c with a windchill of -7c (cheers Silverhill Forge for checking).

I did pluck up the courage to strip down to base layers and sleep like that - I have to say I was very skeptical but it worked. I was very cosy and warm, although I wasn't too fond of the breeze blowing across my snout! lol

I ended up keeping my t-shirt, jumper, and trousers inside my sleeping bag, and was very gratefull for it thismorning!!

So, the overall conclusion is that it was a reasonable nights sleep with a few things I would have done differently, but for a first winter outing was very good indeed!

Thanks for your help guys!!

Mark

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Well, we are back safe n sound! It wasn't as cold as expected but wunderground recorded a low of -4c with a windchill of -7c (cheers Silverhill Forge for checking).

I did pluck up the courage to strip down to base layers and sleep like that - I have to say I was very skeptical but it worked. I was very cosy and warm, although I wasn't too fond of the breeze blowing across my snout! lol

I ended up keeping my t-shirt, jumper, and trousers inside my sleeping bag, and was very gratefull for it thismorning!!

So, the overall conclusion is that it was a reasonable nights sleep with a few things I would have done differently, but for a first winter outing was very good indeed!

Thanks for your help guys!!

Mark

Good to hear, nothing compares to a good field test.

red devil

Forager
Dec 1, 2010
South of Glasgow
Can I ask what might be a really stupid question?
OK, I will!
What I was wondering, while snuggling down under my duvet the other night as the snow howled outside, was if you could use some large rocks, heated in a fire, and carefully placed under a hammock to give an extra source of warmth in particularly cold conditions.
Obviously you'd have to make sure there was some clearance between the rocks and your hammock, but would they help keep you warm and, if so, for how long?
I know heated rocks are used in ground ovens, so why not in this way too? Or would they lose their heat too quickly to be useful?
Just curious - be interested to hear what anyone thinks.
Steve

Loenja

Settler
Apr 27, 2008
forest row
Can I ask what might be a really stupid question?
OK, I will!
What I was wondering, while snuggling down under my duvet the other night as the snow howled outside, was if you could use some large rocks, heated in a fire, and carefully placed under a hammock to give an extra source of warmth in particularly cold conditions.
Obviously you'd have to make sure there was some clearance between the rocks and your hammock, but would they help keep you warm and, if so, for how long?
I know heated rocks are used in ground ovens, so why not in this way too? Or would they lose their heat too quickly to be useful?
Just curious - be interested to hear what anyone thinks.
Steve

okay, i havnt tried it but my instinct tells me that they would cool down to quickly and not send heat into you hammock probs more into the wet ground as energy is lost about 23 times as quickly in water as through air

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE