58 Pattern Bag as an Underblanket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Hey guys, first time posting here but have been lurking around for a while :)

Just wondering if anyone has tried using one of these bags for hammock insulation?
Was lucky enough to find one today at a car boot sale for near nothing, its a bit leaky with feathers popping out and smells funky but i was thinking with the waterproof/windproof base and the down insulation it could work nice as a underblanket, also seems like it would be pretty easy to set up with webbing loops at each end.

Just trying to get prepared for some cold weather overnighters and was thinking of getting the Thermarest Ridgerest but this could save me the money. Could add a basic ccf pad on top for really cold nights (can get down to -15 here in the winter but I don't plan to go that extreme, yet!)

Be great to hear from anyone that has tried out this set up before. I have a DD Frontline hammock if that helps.

All the best,
Mark

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
We converted two current issue bags into effective Underquilts. Basically removed zip and lengthened split to base and removed the bottom. A lot of heavy duty stitching though! Added drawcord to base, the hood one works well for the top and shockcord to the side, job done.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Thanks for the reply R.Lewis.
So have you tested out this set up in cold weather? Would be interested to know how low it can go.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think that should work really well because (correct me if I'm wrong) the sleeping bag has better insulating qualities than a mat would if you are already in the air in a hammock because the idea of a mat Is to stop your heat being conducted from the ground by putting a layer of air in between you and the ground whereas in a hammock you want something to insulate you from the cold air beneath you so a mat full of more air might not help whereas a sleeping bag full of filling (down or synthetic) should help to keep the cold air out and protect you from it and make you warm. Well that's my take on it anyway. Hope this helps.

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Cheers Cameron. I'm thinking along those lines too. I'll give it a try soon enough while the weather isn't too bad. I reckon used with my bag (-5 rating) and a wool blanket this should keep me toasty in some serious cold. Hopefully the smell off it doesn't keep me awake :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think that should work great, especially with a wool blanket.

Hope you stay warm and comfortable in your new setup :)!

Mahomasy

Aug 13, 2013
Sweden
Cheers for the comments guys. Look forward to trying it out.
Yeah could definitely do with a dry clean, a bit on the pungent side at the mo :)

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Cheers for the comments guys. Look forward to trying it out.
Yeah could definitely do with a dry clean, a bit on the pungent side at the mo :)

Couldn't find a dry cleaner who would do mine, ended up washing it in the bath (with nikwax down wash), drying it in the sun then finishing it off with tennis balls in the tumble dryer. Make sure you know it's going to be a very sunny day and get a baby bath to transport its sodden carcass. It's quite an operation.

Gleams

Nov 20, 2006
Romford
I got a bag from eBay late last year and my Xmas project was to extract all the down to fill my underblanket. I then used the left over fabric to form a bivy bag with an integrated mossi net. Not the best looking kit in the world but it makes me feel good to reuse as much as possible

Dirty

Forager
Jun 21, 2012
Cornwall
I'm looking at doing this, but the bag I bought (v cheap) has the down migrated to the upper section. Is a tumble dryer going to solve this or will I have to get the scissors out?

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
I have one of the Bushcraft / Snugpak Cocoon hammock sleeping bags which is all I would ever use with a hammock now. I have a smaller down underblanket incase SWMBO ever comes with me, but it is nowhere near as good as the cocoon.

Which makes me think ... would a modern issue sleeping bag work as a cocoon if you cut (and buttonhole stitched, on a larger scale) into the centre of the foot area and the centre of the hood to thread the hammock through, it would then zip up as normal with no other mods needed ... perhaps?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE