Minimum budget for a winter hammock setup?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
EDIT:

After having made this very topic, I sold my US Modular Sleep system.

That means, that my current budget now is £300 - however, I also need a sleeping bag now.

How do I use my money wisest?

Original post:

Im considering trying a winter hammocking setup. My budget is around £150.

Is it at all feasible to get a hammock, tarp and underquilt for less than £150?

My most apparent thought would be a DD Frontline, DD XL tarp and a Snugpak underquilt. Tenth wonder Green Hornet would be an option too and so would a UKHammocks Woodsman.

What would be the best option?

Are there any real alternatives for the Snugpak underquilt at the current budget?

I should probably mention that I'm using a US Modular Sleep System as far as sleeping bags go.

Regards

Last edited:

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
DIY underblanket from an old sleeping bag would give you more budget for other aspects, better sleeping bag for example. decent sleeping bag and a thermarest would mean no need for an underblanket.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
If your on a budget, I'd spend more on the tarp and hammock and use Foam mats instead of an UQ.

You can pick the foam roll mats up for a couple of quid each. Combine the roll mats with some of those foam backed windscreen reflectors and you'll get down to whatever temp this country can get to. The big plus of mats is that they work on the ground too, handy if your not sure about whether you can find trees in the winter.

Underquilts are well worth the expense but I'd rather have a nicer shelter and hammock if I had to choose. Combinations of foam mats have seen me warm many times well below freezing in a hammock, down to -15 or so and thats pretty cold for the UK.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Lister: That would be an option - will look into that.

Teepee: What would you then suggest as far as hammock and tarp goes with the current budget? The roll mats will be cheap as chips compared to an underquilt, so I guess going with your solution would mean more money for hammock and tarp :)

Almost too many choices...

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I was going to suggest a Woodsman x or a Warbonnet blackbird but they are more than I remembered they were, you'd struggle to stay in budget with them.

The DD Frontline is a great hammock, close to £50. Couple that with a Warbonnet Superfly and you'll have a great set-up.

Don't forget to budget for any extra's youll get with a hammock- ridgelines, replacement suspension and tie-out lines add up.

For me, If I was buying for 4 season and wanted to stay as cheap as possible, I'd get a DD Frontline and a 4.5 x 3m DD tarp-folding the ends of the tarp over to make doors. Use foam mats til the UQ was in reach financially

The option I took is making all my own gear. Nothing is cheaper if you have the time and access to a machine :)

Others will chime in too I hope
Lister: That would be an option - will look into that.

Teepee: What would you then suggest as far as hammock and tarp goes with the current budget? The roll mats will be cheap as chips compared to an underquilt, so I guess going with your solution would mean more money for hammock and tarp :)

Almost too many choices...

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Teepee:

That setup would certainly be within reach. However I have contacted Mat from UKHammocks, and he suggests a Warbonnet Superfly + a UKhammocks Woodsman without the netting.

That would also be within budget.

What would be the be most comfortable? UKHammocks Woodsman and Superfly or DD Frontline and DD XL Tarp? I am aware that the Woodsman comes without mozzie net, but that could be worked around, if the comfort is better than the DD.

Regards

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
NEWS!

After having made this very topic, I sold my US Modular Sleep system.

That means, that my current budget now is £300 - however, I also need a sleeping bag now.

How do I use my money wisest? A lot of options seem to have opened up?

Shovel

Forager
Jul 12, 2012
Wherever I choose to live.
I would suggest a Tenth Wonder UL tarp, Byer Moskito Hammock, Byer Microrope, and Kick bottom Quilts Jarbridge Quilt with four season upgrade.

In the States, I can get all those for about 155 quid. Might be more expensive with shipping. Or, you could make all those yourself, and go the DIY route.

Last edited:

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Shovel: Interesting suggestions, will take a look at them!

Swallow: What I'm saying is, that I now have a budget of £300 - if I can get away with spending only £50 on the bag, that translates into more money for the rest. Pretty nice find with the sleeping bag! Would love to have down, but at the price, it looks very competitive indeed!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE