First time out ...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Ok, so I decide that I'd like to go along to one of the meets. I'm new to this, although I have done some camping in the past. I was wandering through the posts recently and I'm sure a saw a write-up of a meet where it snowed overnight. If I remember (I can't find the thread now) someone had taken some excellent photos on the way down. Anyway, the general photos showed some of the guys out with their tarps set up, some fires on the go, and it appeared as if at least some of them had been sleeping in normal small tents (?)

So the question, if I were to attend a meet, say at the end of October just south of Manchester, what is the minimum equipment I would need so that I wasn't a danger to myself and a burden on anyone else?

I know this is rather vague, but I've read so much here since I joined that I'm getting myself quite confused :eek:

stretch3144

Feb 3, 2009
North Tawton, Devon
I'm no expert but I'd suggest the KISS principle. Keep It Super Simple.
Basically, you should go for RMs' advice from some of his literature.
Something to sleep in
Something to sleep on
Something to sleep under
Something to light a fire with
Something to cook on
Something to carry it in
And then things like warm clothes, waterproofs, spare socks, a knife (try starting off with a Frosts Mora)
This list is not exhaustive but may point you in the right direction.
Just remember though....its your kit, you have to carry it...hence KISS.

Good luck and all the best.

Ian

alpha_centaur

Settler
Jan 2, 2006
Millport, Scotland
Alway's have a pair of wooley dry socks for at night and a wooley hat. They make such a differnce to your comfort level IMHO.

A dry change of clothes for the evening's is nice.

A sleeping bag and tent/tarp/bivvi whatever you would normally use for camping.

For the knife (if you don't have one try http://www.camelotoutdoor.co.uk/ They do a clipper and firesteel at a really good price. Or use a bic or clipper lighter (nowt wrong with cheating).

But I'm sure the guy's going to the meet will keep you right and steer you in the right direction.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
If you're thinking of Middlewood, then as memory serves there is limited hammocking space. It is mainly rhododendron, so tents are a better option, or at least advised as a back up in case all of the trees are taken!

As you won't be venturing far from your car, you can take what you want, unless you are going by train! If you are on the ground, a tent sleeping bag and a sleeping mat (foam or thermarest type) are a must to be completely comfy, but you can use a tarp instead. A bivi bag or an orange survival bag for your sleeping bag is advised. Strong unbreakable mug bowl and cutlery if you're a woman if you're a man eat straight from the pan! Normal pots and pans will work at a push, take a look in your local camping shop then look elsewhere for a cheaper version! Take water bottles, I cannot remember if there are stand pipes or not at Middlewood but a couple of old pop bottles filled up will see you right for the weekend. Take some booze for round the fire maybe, folk like those foldable chairs too and wellies are a good idea to take along, it isn't known as Middlemud for nothing!

Waterproofs are a good idea, but if it really tips it down you can go and sit in your tent. Spare clothing, good food that's easy to cook and a sense of humour will get you through, bear in mind there will be plenty of other people there and if you get stuck you will be helped out, nobody will watch you suffer!

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
To add to Spamel's post:
There are stand pipes dotted around the site - so taking water isn't really needed.

My advice mirrors what everyone so far has said, but if you already have camping gear I would use that rather than buying lots of new gear to try out on the off chance that you like bushcrafting. The other advantage of going to a Meet is that you get to see what other people are using, and make your purchases according to what suits you, not what is trendy this month!

No-one will think any the less of you for taking a tent or using "main stream" gear.

Just make sure that your sleeping bag is up to it and that you have warm clothes.

Finally, remember the rule about newbies bringing beer for the organisor:beerchug::D

Simon

Steve27752

Settler
May 7, 2007
Berkshire, U.K.
I'm no expert but I'd suggest the KISS principle. Keep It Super Simple.
Basically, you should go for RMs' advice from some of his literature.
Something to sleep in
Something to sleep on
Something to sleep under
Something to light a fire with
Something to cook on
Something to carry it in
And then things like warm clothes, waterproofs, spare socks, a knife (try starting off with a Frosts Mora)
This list is not exhaustive but may point you in the right direction.
Just remember though....its your kit, you have to carry it...hence KISS.

Good luck and all the best.

Ian

It's Keep it simple stupid!

deenewcastle

Tenderfoot
Jul 28, 2009
Newcastle upon Tyne
Thanks guys. As Simon has pointed out, I do already have lots of camping gear, and often camp by car and by m/c. I would guess that out of the past 44 years that I remember camping, I will have spent at least 1 year accumulated under some sort of canvas, which includes a few weeks canoe trekking along the fjords and crossing 'mountain passes' in Norway. Although I spent 22 years in the Army, most of my time doing the 'green camping' was either on exercise or on ops, so I suppose it took much of the fun element out of the activity :rolleyes: Throughout that time though I did continue with the family type camping, and still do, although I now have added solo trips to the calender. I think that when I saw Stuart's thread about their trip to St Abbs, it made me think 'Wow! That's hard core!" ;) and I wondered if that's what I should expect from Middlewood.

The questions were therefore, do I need a tarp? Will I be expected to make my own fire unaided and then cook over an open fire? Do I need billy cans and grills/tripods?

Essentially, just how 'Hard Core' will I, as a novice bush crafter, be expected to be ? :confused:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE