First time out kit list

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
1) Lightweight 1.5KG 1man Tent + Pegs and guys
2) SIM rolled and bagged
3) 3 season synthetic sleeping bag
4) 14cm Billy can with pan & Lid
5) Matches OR FIRESTEEL
6) gas burner
Resealable 500g Gas Cannister
7) Enamel Mug
8) Spoon
9)Morakniv Knife
10)Folding Saw
FAK (free)
11)T6 LED alloy torch with a spare pair of 18650's
12)Wash kit
13) Food+Water
14) Tarp, paracord, karibiners (one item still)
15) Brewkit!!!!!
Camera (free)
That would be my take on it, but its up-to you of course. :D

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ah well, you just asked the most fundamental question in bushcraft :p.

You all ready had it listed tbh, tea bags, coffee, sugar dried milk (or a bottle of UHT if you want to be reasonably civilised :D), whatever else is hot and wet and wets your whistle.

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
I can vouch for This little one mate, has done me well for a while now.

Also, at the risk of sounding preachy - and I really don't mean to be - the woods might be the perfect place to have a go at a bit of reading. Doing 2 new things instead of one. :) Take something that really interests you and that makes you want to read the next page.. A bushcrafting book maybe.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....But if you weigh twice what shaggystu does and carry sacks of coal around for a living, I think you'll manage. :)

125kg, is that somewhere round about 20-21stone in old money? can't be too far off me and you put together can it ged? i reckon if we ganged up on him we'd win by about 10kg :BlueTeamE

stuart

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
125kg, is that somewhere round about 20-21stone in old money? can't be too far off me and you put together can it ged? i reckon if we ganged up on him we'd win by about 10kg :BlueTeamE

stuart

Just over 19.5 stone. Used to be 25 stone but lost a lot over the last year or two.

Bin bags! Estimate how many you'll need and then double it! You'll generate more waste than you think and you'll also need somewhere to put the dirty underwear.

Hygiene can be overlooked by beginners but, believe me, you need to maintain the overall condition you set out in - that clean, warm, dry, comfortable feeling for as long as you can. Ditch the wash kit and buy some wet wipes - cheap and surprisingly effective (provides a morning and night sleeping bag "shower"). If you shave - do it every day (those small bottles of shaving oil should do, if you want to cut down on size/ weight - although I still go for the full badger bristle brush and soap as a bit of field luxury!)

If you have permission for a fire then there is no need for a gas stove - even for a quick brew and even if it's chucking it down. If you're not sure about fire management then I'd suggest looking up the wealth of info on the net and changing the goal of your outing to practicing fire lighting and management.

Good luck - kit lists are entirely individual and you will learn mainly through experience.

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
Right, so ive practice packed round 1

with everything in the below list im at 15.3kg inc the rucksack.

1) Lightweight 1.5KG 1man Tent + Pegs and guys
2) SIM rolled and bagged
3) 3 season synthetic sleeping bag
4) 14cm Billy can with pan & Lid
5) FIRESTEEL
6) gas burner & Resealable 500g Gas Cannister
7) Enamel Mug
8) Spoon
9)Morakniv Knife
10)Folding Saw
FAK (free)
11)T6 LED alloy torch with a spare pair of 18650's
12)Wash kit
13) Food for 3 days
14) Tarp, paracord, 2 x karibiners (one item still)
15) Brewkit!!!!!

feels heavy in the hand but suprisingly ok'ish on my back.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Just a thought on water carrying. There is a thread on here somewhere and shows a picture of a two ltr pop bottle that has been rolled up with a cord around the neck to carry it. Using this idea it takes little room up in your bag.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
15kg aint too bad, is that inclusive of food? How long is the walk to the campsite?
Sounds good though mate, I look forward to seeing your pic's :D

Rizouk

Jan 8, 2012
Cirencester
Yeah, inclusive of food but not water other than say 500ml for the walk.

Distance wise maybe only 3/4 mile 1 mile max tbh. not far but i fancy starting out slow :D

Pics and entertainment will be posted upon my return on the 24th.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Yeah, inclusive of food but not water other than say 500ml for the walk.

Distance wise maybe only 3/4 mile 1 mile max tbh. not far but i fancy starting out slow :D

Pics and entertainment will be posted upon my return on the 24th.

Nice one, well hope ya have a good time mate :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE