first time in a hammock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

bushyboo

Hi All
Just thought iwould tell you about my weekend fishing up at loch awe. it was also the first time ive slept in a hammock, and i still cant believe how comfy it was and how easy and quick to put up i must say that i am now converted and dont think il be back in a tent unless the weather is realy bad .Ive put in a couple of pics of my weekend which was also my brothers first big pike ,ive took a couple of fungi pics and would be interested to know what they are as i know there is a few people on here that know there fungi, anyway i had a great weekend (even though the weather was bad on satuarday rain and wind) and thought id share it with you
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/STA70587.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/iainpike-1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/STA70613.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/STA70613.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/STA70342-1.jpg
http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r276/bushyboo_bucket/STA70593.jpg

thanks for looking

windward

Forager
Sep 28, 2006
Edinburgh
You can't beat a hammock...well thats my opinion after having my first night in one 2 months ago...so I know how you feel. Had several weekends away since....have to say it did take me a few night in it to get used to sleeping on my back...don't usually sleep that way. Now though i've no problem getting to sleep.

Where about were you in Loch Awe?...I've only driven down it twice making my way to the west coast and at the time I wasn't thinking of places to stop and set up camp. I've heard a few people talk about it..and it looks an awesome place to set camp....but where??

Don't know about you but I'm already looking into making some sort of end panel for added protection for the hammock...you've probably already read the thread 'Tarp End Panel'. I was out the weekend before and was lucky not to get wet considering the weather. I'm using a Hennessy though that weekend I used a basha for protection instead of the fly sheet that comes with it knowing the weather was going to be bad. It worked well but having read the above thread it got me thinking...it would be quite easy to extend it to cover the ends. The other option would be to get Hennessy Hex Fly, which is much bigger than a basha but then theres the added cost.

That weekend was also the first time I'd used a thermalite mat inside for insulation which worked very well...the past two times out I'd used an insulated mat, the silver coated type, but that just caused condensation...I didn't get any with the thermalite. Also...the water I had in my spare 1ltr water bottle was boiled up and put back in...it was then wrapped up in my fleece which was then put in my sleeping bag...it worked a treat....and it was still hot in the morning when there was still frost outside.

Great pics! Haven't a clue about the fungi but I was given a book for my birthday last week all about them so maybe ask the same question in a week or two :) Which hammock are you using?

Mr_Rimps

Forager
Aug 13, 2006
Hampshire
Wow, thats some Pike! well done. I'll tell you about the Pike I caught sometime. (Yep just caught the one!)

Looks like you guys had a great time.

The fungus looks like Oyster Mushroom which is eddible and tends to be of different shades of brown. Normally grows on Beech trees in my neck of the woods but can be found on other deciduous trees. Best get another opinion though.

Thanks for sharing.
Andy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have slept in a hammock twice so far. Both times I had the tarp real close over the hammock but otherwise like your setup with the corners down at the sides. Anyone able to comment on how the setup of the tarp affects the warmth?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Looks like you have a great time, i have just purchased a hammock from Magikelly but still yet to try it.

I am usually a ground dweller and tarp/bivybag fan so was wondering how you found the temperature difference ?

Also how did you get that pike ? come on we need a fishing story of battle struggle with pain and anguish whilst trying to land that monster ! lolol ;)

B

bushyboo

hi the hammock is a mosquito hammock i got of the net ( www.mosquitohammock.com) the one i got was the jungle hammock i didnt have a thermal mat so i used what we call frost banket that we use at work on concrete to stop the frost getting to it ,it seemed to work ok because i didnt get cold i had my sleeping bag inside a bivy bag so i think that made a differance too . the tarp came with the hammock but i think a bigger square tarp would be better in the winter as there wasnt much overlap between the end of it and the end of the hammock as i said it raind all satarday and the ends did get a bit or rain
the pike was caught on a lamprey dead bait and took 20 mins to land and no we didnt eat it ,it got returned to fight another day

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
In terms of tarps, Tis the wind that makes the greatest difference. Pitch the hammock right up underneath the tarp, this avoids blown rain and provides a wind break. Hammock insulation is important, underblanket works best but pads/thermorests can successful as well if you can get them to stay in place. Fortunatly all the Mosquito hammocks have a double bottom that a mat can be slid into, stays in place nicely. Try this forum for information and links to other resources. With hammocks practice makes perfect!! Nigel

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/index.php

B

bushyboo

thanks for the advice nigelp
ive had alook and got a few ideas for the next time im out
think il have to get an underblanket though :rolleyes:

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
underblanket or half inflated therm-a-rest and you'll be fine... I have a few hammocks and love them in the spring and summer.

They do offer a fantastic nights sleep and it's nice to have somewhere comfy to sit and read or just chill out.

Nice pics too, that's some fish! was it for dinner or did you send it on its way?

B

bushyboo

hi squidders
it got weighed and sent on its way hopefully we might catch her again when shes even bigger :eek:

Nov 13, 2005
N.W. England
Hi Gordon,
looks like you had a great trip!
That's a nice fish your brother caught, did she go 20lb, looks like it ;) Do you have to have a permit of any sort to fish Awe?
I'm planning a trip up there some time in the new year.
Great pics, thanks for sharing.

B

bushyboo

hi fiskar the pike came in at 25lb 12oz
the pemits are a fiver a day or a tenner for 3 days you can get them at the shop in loch awe village next to the tight line (pub) there are restictions but they are marked on a map you get with the permit, if you are going to fish at kilchurn castle you have to pay the farmer (was about 3 pound a day last time i was there ) but he just comes around and sees you at the side of the loch
hope this is of help

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE