First time bivi bag user

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

connieboy

Jun 19, 2016
Cambs
Sorry for what seems to be a silly question, but I've just got a British army goretex bivi bag (thanks Bowlin) I've tried it out with the hood over my head, do you guys completely cover your head and face with the bag when you sleep or does that get a bit hot/stuffy/ Claustrophobic?
Thanks
Con

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
I use it under a tarp, and just use it like a sleeping bag. Right side around. No issues and you get the extra wind/splash rain protection.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
When I was allowed to solo (thanks Wife) I would have head outside with woolly hat on if it was cold so stars and mist etc could be seen. mentioned before the problem of wearing glasses, can be uncomfortable but worth it to see the sights.

Last edited:

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I use it in the hills without a basha normal way up. Head out unless it rains then I just reach for the top and tuck it in over me.

IC_Rafe

Forager
Feb 15, 2016
EU
If there are plenty of bugs, there are a few options:

- Use a bug bivy under your tarp.
- Wear a headnet in your sleeping bag.
- Use a sleeping bag with an attached headnet (For example the Carinthia Tropen, has a bugscreen you can zip over the face area).
- Drape a bugnet over your face area in general.
- Decide that a tent might be better in bug infested area's ;)

In my area, there are some bugs, but not too many, so i stick with the Tropen option, for if it'd really get bad, but usually don't need anything at night.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
I can't stand being cocooned in my bivvy, I like breathing space, so have my head poking out the top and some sort of shelter over top :)

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
You do get used to it. I used to have a diagonal zip bivvy bag and would zip instead it's leaving about an inch and half open on bad weather. Sadly bag damaged so now just use an old green issue bag

Jun 23, 2015
United States
You can use a foam sleeping pad sideways inside your bivy. The sides will wrap around you and support the top to keep it from dropping low.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
You can use a foam sleeping pad sideways inside your bivy. The sides will wrap around you and support the top to keep it from dropping low.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk

see what you can learn on forums like this a nice simple idea but clever and useful to those who don't like to be trapped in a bivvy bag Good idea:)

Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
The idea of the bivvi is to use with a basha (Brittish Army Standard Hotel Accomidation), but in a combat zone it is the idea that u can sleep anywhere warm and most importantly DRY, a bivvi bag works best when there is a breeze blowing over the bag as the breeze helps wisk away moisture from the gortex, u can end up with condensation in the bag if you breathe in the bag or have no moving air outside the bag, it's not for inside use ie a tent because it does not perform in that environment. It can double up as a bergan/rucksack rain cover

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE