First thing first!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Bonobo Boy

Hi All,
Its Andy here with my first post!
I've finally decided after years of weighing up our world situation that if the **** ever hits the fan the state will do precious little except protect its own interests.
Faced with this unpallatable truth I recognise the prudent individual prepares for any eventuality.
Heres the problem! I dont know where to begin!
Which skills are the most essential to learn first. Hunting and trapping, shelter building etc. HELP!
All help will be greatly appreciated. Also any chatter of a political lean is welcome.
Heres to chatting with you good folks.
Bye 4 now!
Andy.

Welcome to BCUK – enjoy! :D

As for where to begin the start is a good place – you’ve already taken the first step so you have already begun – congratulations. ;) It’s just a matter of what skills and want order you want to learn them in. Starting fire by various methods seems to get people enthused at the early stages – I love nothing more than creating fire with my son – wonderful experience to share. Good knife skills will obviously be of great importance for the hunting, trapping and shelter building you mention.

The best bit of advise is to make your self comfortable in the environment that you intend to use your skills – for me this revolves as much around the psychology of the situation/location as much as the practical application. The more you get out there and practice, experience etc. the easier and more enjoyable things become.

This is a truly wonderful forum full of wise and experienced people that will be more than willing to share their knowledge with you. :)

Good luck on your journey and enjoy learning your new skills. :cool:

Cheers,

Phil.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Where to start indeed. You've picked a massive subject, but a good one. The situation you mention would seem to me that you want to learn hunting and trapping techniques along with foraging and gathering of wild fruits, fungi and edible greens and roots. Again, a big subject!!!

At the moment, you will find it difficult to address the greens, and fungi are just about over, if not already in your area, so that will start again in the new year for you. In the meantime, winter brings its own skills that you can practise. Snow covered ground helps in starting out in the tracking world, prints are clear and you will get complete prints that will make it easy for you to identify the animal that created the sign. Wing tips leave marks in snow when birds land and take off, which can be quite interesting to look out for.

If you have acces to some stinging nettles, try making cordage from them. This could be used for snares if required and if you couldn't get hold of wire when the proverbial hits the fan. Of course, animals could chew through these sort of snares which means you would need to check them more often than a brass snare. Also, search this site for the legal aspects of snaring, it's not quite as you would expect it to be. Spring traps are out, so you can't bend a sapling over and attatch the snare to ping little bunny up in the air, but if society were to break down, I suppose it wouldn't matter. You can practise spring traps I suppose, so long as you don't use it to catch anything, so once it is made, strip it out again.

Hunting, what are you going to use? A rifle of some sort would be ideal, bow hunting is not allowed in UK, but again if law and order broke down.....! Maybe you could give bow making a try, there are plenty of members who can give you advice on that. Also, maybe learn how to shoot a rifle, it's pretty straight forward but what you want is consistency in your shooting. I've no idea what access you would have to a shooting club, although air rifle clubs would be a good start. An air rifle would bag you small game, squirrels and rabbit and the like. Don't shoot birds, you may get in the proverbial!! Not too sure on pigeon and the like though.

If you wanted to start sleeping outdoors and creating fire (a massive subject on its own) you will need to bear in mind the law in UK. Scotland has different laws with regards to fire lighting, a much better way of camping out really. England is a bit more restrictive with permission needing to be sought from the land owner. Once you get that permission, keep on the land owners good side. It's down to that proverbial thing again, but this time it includes your doorstep, you know the saying!! :D

Finally, I'd stress the importance of safety. A basic grasp of First Aid techniques will stand you in good stead, you're gonna be using sharp objects and be playing with fire. Know how to deal with cuts and burns correctly, but more so know how to avoid them!! :rolleyes: You'll get cut or burnt now and then, nothing serious but it will happen when you get a bit cocky, it happens to us all!! And enjoy yourself, when you are out doing what interests you, forget about worries at home or at work. It is your time to enjoy and learn in the great outdoors, it's better than sitting at home watching crap TV!!!! ;)

B

Bonobo Boy

Hi Rob,
Sadly I did watch the afore mentioned "Spooks".
Undoubtedly the refusals to sign Kyoto point towards a dark place indeed.
The states primary function is to protect the people, alas the state has and will continue to fail us!
The powerful will never surrender power. We have to take the power back for ourselves!
Andy.

B

Bonobo Boy

Cheers for your reply Spamel.
Thanx 4 taking the time.
Andy.

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
welcome Bonobo Boy

If you have a look around the forum you'll see that there's not much discussion of politics because such discussion usually ends in tears before bed-time :rolleyes: I for one enjoy bushcraft for the pleasure I get from it today rather than because it prepares me for what might happen in the future. No doubt others will have more of a "survivalist" leaning.
Off out to enjoy a nice autumn day now

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
The only rule I've never broken....never talk politics or religion with friends :( and I consider this forum my friend...

Welcome to a very friendly and knowledgable group...

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Bonobo Boy said:
Hi All,
Its Andy here with my first post!
I've finally decided after years of weighing up our world situation that if the **** ever hits the fan the state will do precious little except protect its own interests.
Faced with this unpallatable truth I recognise the prudent individual prepares for any eventuality.
Heres the problem! I dont know where to begin!
Which skills are the most essential to learn first. Hunting and trapping, shelter building etc. HELP!
All help will be greatly appreciated. Also any chatter of a political lean is welcome.
Heres to chatting with you good folks.
Bye 4 now!
Andy.

If TEOTWAWKI style survivalism is what interests you, then there is no doubt that you will glean some useful information from this site, however this website is not aimed at the discussion of techniques for surviving a catastrophic collapse of society, but rather the simple pleasures of wilderness living.

As such you may find this website: http://www.ludlowsurvivors.com/ better suited to your interests.

Reactions: Toddy

bent-stick

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
surrey
www.customarchery.net
Welcome aboard benobo boy.

If you do a search on 'teotwawki' on this site it will throw up the sort of discussion you might be interested in.

As someone who went through a lot of those scenarios in the late 60's and 70's it's nothing new. Some people might be more reliant on the infrastructure now than we were then.

Bearing in mind that we live on a very crowded little island there is unlikely to be the option to take to the hills and isolate yourself if the brown stuff starts flying so urban skills are just as important as being out in the hills. The sort of skills you are looking at are:

shelter - not a problem in urban environment there are plenty of materials. It's as well to know how to start from nothing and buld something cosy.

water - this is the big one. you need to to be able to find and purify water so...

fire - for warmth, cooking, water purification

food - this means forage, trapping, hunting and fishing. And all the prep that goes with it. I bet we have some of the best cooks on the planet in this forum

toolmaking - learn to use a knife and hand tools to make stuff. Recognise materials and their useful properties.

health - learn some basic first aid for accidents and some plant lore for common ailments

personal protection - in the sort of scenario you are looking at your biggest danger is other people. The island is too small and crowded to rely on isolation. I'm sure this is a contentious issue and not strictly bushcraft so 'nuff said

As other people have pointed out there is a limit to what you can practice within the law. For instance even as a landowner or with a landowners permission there are a loads of rules around the ways you can take game (even vermin) within the law. You might disagree with it but it is still the law. One of your the soft skills is being aware of the wildlife and countryside act, firearms legislation, defra technical notes etc so you don't end up in de stront.

Browse around here and you'll pick up some good ideas about what you can do and what you can't. You'll learn loads, your house will disappear under heaps of sinew, home made cordage,antler, horn, bone, shiny sharp things, wood etc etc that you are sure you will find a use for one day.

Most of all GET OUT THERE.You'll soon find out what resources you need to call on to keep you happy.

Have fun...

Reactions: Toddy

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Welcme Andy.

The basics are food, warmth, and shelter.

I started out with warmth - fire skills and haven't moved on much from that so far. What method of fire lighting would you be interested in trying out?

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Most of all GET OUT THERE.You'll soon find out what resources you need to call on to keep you happy.

Peronally i think this is the bast place to start ;)

Once your out there have a go you will out find out what kills you are missing and need to research/practice.

Without throwing all safety aside and sleeping on a cliff in the middle of winter in spandex without a mobile phone your gonna be pretty safe in most places.
Get a good warm jacket a good sleeping bag and bivy bag/tent/tarp (ex MOD stuff is cheap and ace) and make the leap. About the worse that will happen is you might get cold and hungry but i rekon you will still have a smile on your face ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE