(first post) Found an App which might come in handy

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
B

Billy_ Odyssey

Hey!

Thought I'd combine my first post with a recommendation. I found this Vicorinox app on the market and thought it might be of help. It's great for marking locations then getting back to them using the gpd/camera. You can even let your friends share their location with you too. Might be good for country walks, camping trips and not just for what they say!

Hope someone gets some interest out of it. Peace x:27:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
Welcome to BCUK.

I see the app is Android. I have a Windows phone now so cannot try it out.

If anyone else can try it or has used it let us know what you think.

Cheers

George

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Hello and welcome to BCUK, I have an android 'phone and will give this a try tomorrow and report back.......atb mac

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Hey there Billy, I just had a search online and there is a free iPhone app called 'pin drop' which may be similar to this one, works on ipad too, although you get a small screen image coming up. I have just started using it to note down where I have found foraging places in my vicinity, although it is aimed at saving restaurants and other facilities as it gives you an option to search for amenities nearby. Really easy to use, you can colour code your pins and tag them for quick reference later.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
Just an update on the pin drop app I have been using for the last couple of days. I am starting to have problems with it as I wanted to pin point a bush in the middle of a wood and there is not enough detail for me to do that! So, if I can find the link for the iPhone vicorinox app, then I will try that out.

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I think that the Victorinox and the pin drop apps are very limited unless you just want to mark off a simple place you would like to return to at a later date, quite frankly, google maps will do this too no need for a separate app.

But for something more detailed, I have found the viewranger app - my.viewranger.com and it looks much more professional, if that is what you are after, you can buy ordnance survey maps and view them on the app and mark routes you take, adding photos and notes at points you mark along the way, this is perfect for what I want, which is a way to mark down plants and trees for foraging purposes. There is also a huge community of other people publishing routes and walks they have made and you can search their databases to find walks in your area and upload them onto your app so you have them to refer to when you are out.. I haven't bought it yet as the free version does not cover France, but the pro version covers many countries and you can download detailed topographical maps for only the areas you want.

No affiliation to it of course, just something that looks really interesting and useful, no more soggy maps written all over in permanent marker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE