First Polelathe attempt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I aquired a polelathe a week or two back, this is the first time I've had to try it.
I had a small stick of hazel left over from rigging the bungee cord so I thought I'd have a go with that as it's pretty round already
I know it's not the way to go normally because of the pith in the centre but it was first go.
He's the stick
DSC00243.jpg

And here's the finished article - a garden dibber...
DSC00244.jpg

I'm really pleased considering it's my first go.
off to practice some more and build a lean to to store it in.

Cheers

mark

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That's a good first attempt mate. Get yourself a 2 1/2" flat chisel to use to finish the surface. You use the chisel at an angle and take fine shavings off. Then grab a handful of shavings from the floor, hold them in your hand cupping them round the workpiece and pump the treddle while burnishing the work with the shavings. You'll notice the difference. With a pole lathe you don't need turning chisels by the way. Normal chisels work well too as the workpiece isn't spinning too fast and the softer greenwood is kinder to the blade.

Eric

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Very nice work Buckshot, that's some nice carving (is that the word?).

Is it going to stay like that? I reckon some dark oil on it to show the nice grain in the wood would finish that off nicely.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Thats great Mark, I built myself one about 10 months ago out of a load of softwood I had lying around and it aint pretty, but it works. I agree with Eric, you don't need special chisels, I just use my flat carpenters chisels and so long they are kept sharp, they work a treat.............

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
Where did you aquire such a sweet bitta kit? Are they specifically homemade or are they retailed?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Thanks all.
My Dad's just told me he's got a load of chisels from an uncle he's never used. his uncle used to 'turn wood', not sure if it was on a powered lathe or not but my Dad reckons they're at least 70 years old - he's had them for 20-30 years in his drawer !.

The finish is something I wasn't very happy about, there seems to be small wispy bits all over it :confused: . I guess that's my technique not quite right !
The plainings (is that what they're called?) are not the long lengths that they're supposed to be either which again I assume is me.

I did find that the flat chisel made a better finish though, and I like the shoulders I was able to get with it.

I got the lathe here from a fellow member, traded it for a leather pouch I made. :) It was made by him on a course ages ago but he hasn't used much and was very happy with the pouch.

The next thing I need is a shave horse, plans are on the bodgers website again.

Cheers

mark

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I have a number of Pole Lathe turner friends; one of them, known as Irish Pat, went to the Bodgers Ball one year (I kid you not!) and came home deciding he'd coined a new name for a collection of Pole Lathes since they came in a myriad different shapes, forms and sizes. Pat calls them an *Amazement* of Pole Lathes :D
In skilled hands they are wonderful tools :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE