First night cherry popping

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Well I took the plunge..I've had my DD travel hammock and 3X3 tarp for a month or so so I headed out into the cuds for a trial last night.
I'd already had a couple of dry runs and sorted out the basic: brewing bad coffee, trying to light the Trangia look-alike with a bic lighter and putting the tarp and hammock up - I wouldn't have survived this if I'd just gone for it, there's so much to get right, and so much to fall short on.

The simplest things were blessings: knowing the basic knots: a prussic, taught hitch, evenk. utility line, under blanket below the hammock, a book to read, modded hammock with carabinas, sharp bushknife for extra pegs, extra cordage...

What went right: I stayed the course. I had a decent meal before bed (rat pack beef and veg), I didn't freak at being alone with the lions and tigers, the tarp and hammock were outstanding.

P1010547.jpg

What didn't go right: the underblanket was actually a sleeping bag which didn't stay in place and didn't cover completely: this needs either modifying or changing for 'the real thing'. Other than that nothing :D

P1010548.jpg

I woke often through the night from the cold (minus 4 and a strong NW tramontane wind), had a couple of widdles and snook an extra pair of socks on about 3am. As I think back to it now I know I'm going to enjoy this coming summer; and so are my lads.

P1010553.jpg

Just after 8am, not much heat in that sun :banghead:

Thanks for looking.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
awesome :) i like to do my homework and test out kit before giving it a good bashing or at least take a backup i know works if i dont get a chance to before takeing new kit out.

Braver than me, to try out something as new as a hammock in the middle of the winter :) as long as you enjoyed it is the main thing, welcome to the trees :D

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
awesome :) i like to do my homework and test out kit before giving it a good bashing or at least take a backup i know works if i dont get a chance to before takeing new kit out.

, welcome to the trees :D

I should say that this spot was a 10 minute walk in from my house which made it at least sane. I was determined to stay put though. My one regret is that the light fails so soon and the temperature drops enough at this time of the year so as to render anything other than reading a non-starter.

welcome to the trees :D

Thanks. Hammocks rock. Well, maybe swing a bit :lmao:

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Nice one TR,
There should be a few things you could try to hold the underblanket in place, sew a few tags in place or put a net under it for instance. I really admire your determination to succeed, well done.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
the main thing is you were comfortable, you would expect to be a bit cold in this weather.it will all be better from here in mate.

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Nice one TR,
There should be a few things you could try to hold the underblanket in place, sew a few tags in place or put a net under it for instance.

Ogri the trog

Yes, that's what I thought. I'll get some webbing for the tags and attack the old sleeping bag.
The net idea is good too. I guess a cheap net hammock would be the simplest to set up.

Cheers.

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Looks like a great time out. You have to love these shortcold days...but at least there are no mosquitoes

You are right..almost makes up for the cold :lol: ....cause they love me more than my mum does :D

On another aspect, has anyone added any more web loops onto their DD tarp...??
I know they come with a zillion but thought it might be useful to have the
ridge line off centre giving a choice of a longer and shorter sides depending
on weather and views...if you see what I mean.

Trail Runner

Nov 2, 2008
Larzac Plateau, France
Hello webmuppet...

I used a Kozi tec 250 with a silk liner, not a bag up to the task tbh - and it fell short by at least a 'season'.. you know, I heard that a silk liner adds a season's rating to a bag...does that mean if I went out with 5 silk liners I'd be toasty through the winter.. :confused:

Congratulations on your DD hammock. You're going to love it, although you might need to spend a few quid to enjoy a night out before the spring.

Good luck

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE