First knife, first spoon!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Palaeocory

Forager
It's been a long time coming, but I finally bought my first bushcraft knife (so I don't have to keep borrowing everyone else's!) It's a Mora 'robust', since my husband has the clipper and I thought variety might be nice (and to be honest, the borrowing won't stop!)

To celebrate, I completed my first spoon - made out of a cedar shingle, very close to the outer edge so it has nice ring designs. Sanded and rubbed with walnut oil so it smells delicious!

CMiimJ1WgAEq0Dx.jpg

I'm posting about this because I'm admiring the spoon as a way of stalling... I should be writing. back to work!

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Very cleanly done. As you learn more and more of the working characteristics of any wood, carvings are easier and easier to do.
Now you're off to explore spoon design!
Don't be too anxious to switch to another wood. Cedar shingles lend themselves to relief and formline carvings, too.
I suspect that what you used is what is known here as a cedar shake. Our cedar shingles are thin (1/4" butts) and sawn to a very fine tapered edge.
The advantage with the shakes is that they are split not sawn so the grain is really nice to follow.

Palaeocory

Forager
Thanks everyone! There will be more to follow, I agree Mesquite it does seem to have an addictive quality...

I've had my eye out for some fallen wood to be my next victim...

I haven't used it yet, I'm coveting it too much...!

Porky

Aug 18, 2015
South Wales
I was just wondering what to do whilst it's raining and you've given me an idea, nice work on your soon hope mine turns out half as good

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Nice spoon, very neat work and nicely proportioned.
Maybe I should stop reading too much and get out more but I can see a face/cameo in the centre of the bowl, the ones that tinfoil hat wearers see in toast all the time. :D
Nice knife too. Haven't had a play with one of those yet.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

humdrum_hostage

Jul 19, 2014
Stradishall, Suffolk
Maybe I should stop reading too much and get out more but I can see a face/cameo in the centre of the bowl, the ones that tinfoil hat wearers see in toast all the time. :D

Oh gosh yes! And even more suspicious, one way you have what looks like an angel and if you turn it upside down (not so easy with auto screen rotation) it looks like a little devil!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE