First Grass Snake of the year (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

resnikov

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Out on a bit of walk with wife, kids and my mum and on the way back to the car we found a grass snake, well I think it is.

CIMG0291.JPG

CIMG0294.JPG

CIMG0295.JPG

It was sunning itself on the road. As we stopped to a take a photo or two it slithered off in to the undergrowth.

Managed to get a video of it moving off. Was impressed at how quick it moved.

[video=youtube;FRbRSgpztsE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FRbRSgpztsE[/video]

My girls were very impressed with seeing the snake, the have never seen one in the wild before.
We had my mum's boarder terrier with us who didn't even notice the snake just walked past it and carried on whilst we stopped and took the pics.

HHazeldean

Native
Feb 17, 2011
Sussex
Beautiful pics. It is definitely a grass snake and looks quite bug as well. I am surprised to see them out at this time. We had hundreds around us and I have managed to get some lovely photos too. :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Nice piccies mate, if that'd been me and the mrs I'd have had to carry her back to the car on my shoulders.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Beautiful pics. It is definitely a grass snake and looks quite bug as well. I am surprised to see them out at this time. We had hundreds around us and I have managed to get some lovely photos too. :)

Our reptiles have been out and about since the first week in February.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Cheers for that. How old is full adulthood and how old do they live for?

They have been recorded living for 30+ years, but the average is way below that and dropping (seven years). Full sexually maturity is reached at around three or four years. They can grew up to two metres long if females, while males are smaller. Average is about 120 to 150cm though.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
They have been recorded living for 30+ years, but the average is way below that and dropping (seven years). Full sexually maturity is reached at around three or four years. They can grew up to two metres long if females, while males are smaller. Average is about 120 to 150cm though.

Whilst we've got you JD - my Oldest wanted to know if there are any venomous creatures in the UK besides the Adder - I couldn't think of any (sure there may be some spiders that don't harm us etc.) any you can think of?

Ta

M

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Whilst we've got you JD - my Oldest wanted to know if there are any venomous creatures in the UK besides the Adder - I couldn't think of any (sure there may be some spiders that don't harm us etc.) any you can think of?

Ta

M

All spiders are venomous and there are colonies of Black widows and Brown recluse existing quite succesfully within the UK. Native House spiders can give a nasty bite to us, as well as the other larger species. There are also non native scorpions doing quite well down south. As for other native species, we obviously have wasps, bees etc and there are a few marine animals that can give nasty stings.

Harvestman is the person who can expand on the entomological side of things.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
All spiders are venomous and there are colonies of Black widows and Brown recluse existing quite succesfully within the UK. Native House spiders can give a nasty bite to us, as well as the other larger species. There are also non native scorpions doing quite well down south. As for other native species, we obviously have wasps, bees etc and there are a few marine animals that can give nasty stings.

Harvestman is the person who can expand on the entomological side of things.

Thanks - I had no idea we had black widows and recluses over here. I knew about the scorpions - think they live on a dockside somewhere...

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Thanks - I had no idea we had black widows and recluses over here. I knew about the scorpions - think they live on a dockside somewhere...

Yeah, there is a prominent wall down there that has had a colony for a couple of decades. The false widow seems to have the greatest dispersion and stronghold in the UK at the moment. Brown recluses look like any other drab brown spider, so sightings are rare unless the person who saw it knows their stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE