First Grass Snake of the year (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
All spiders are venomous...

If I remember correctly, spider venom is dual purposed; it not only immobilizes/kills its prey but it breaks it down on a cellular level into a slurry so the spider can injest it. Actually part of the digestive process.

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.
If I remember correctly, spider venom is dual purposed; it not only immobilizes/kills its prey but it breaks it down on a cellular level into a slurry so the spider can injest it. Actually part of the digestive process.

do youhave redback spiders over there? we have them here... people here are more scared of redback then snakes XD

---
Skipp

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK

Yeah, that's right.

do youhave redback spiders over there? we have them here... people here are more scared of redback then snakes XD

---
Skipp

They aren't natives, but escapees that came over on shipments of fruit etc. They thrive in small pockets in warmer areas.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
there are a few marine animals that can give nasty stings.

By far the most painful I have experienced is weaver fish, lives in sandy beaches I met mine at Hells Mouth on the Llyn. Stand on one and your foot swells like a blue football and is incredibly painful. Cure is lots of very hot water.

Great grass snake pics and vid.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

---
Skipp

We have them here as well (in most of the country) and Black Widows. Most people aren't terribly afraid of them but I suspect that's because they rarely see them. I rarely think about them but when I do, I think twice about reaching in dark places. We have various venomous snakes depending on what part of the country: Copperheads, Moccasins, Coral Snakes and assorted species of Rattlesnakes; there is also a venomous lizard called the Gila Monster and various scorpions species depending on where in the country. The only fatal scorpion species (unless you're especially allergic) is the Black Scorpion in Arizona.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
We have them here as well (in most of the country) and Black Widows. Most people aren't terribly afraid of them but I suspect that's because they rarely see them. I rarely think about them but when I do, I think twice about reaching in dark places. We have various venomous snakes depending on what part of the country: Copperheads, Moccasins, Coral Snakes and assorted species of Rattlesnakes; there is also a venomous lizard called the Gila Monster and various scorpions species depending on where in the country. The only fatal scorpion species (unless you're especially allergic) is the Black Scorpion in Arizona.

The insect that's starting to scare me though is an invasive; the Africanized bee. They escaped in South America in the 1950s and have been working their way north ever since. There are now colonies in the warmer areas of the US. They are extremely agressive; they will chase their victims for over a mile and usually continue the attack untill they've killed it. They're showing up in cities as well as in the countryside.

LOL. I meant to do this as an edit rather than a reply.

Last edited:

WeThePeoplexfbm

Settler
Dec 27, 2010
Australlia- NSW.

i got redbacks and white tips in my shed XD no

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE