First ever trip out + further visits (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
So with this being my first day off in forever, i figured today was the day i wake the little un up early and we have our very first trip out to get started with some practice. I have another thread in the "kit chatter" section with a little about myself and where i've started from. Suffice to say, we were not very prepared and really bleary eyed heh. With this being our first trip out, we were'nt sure what to expect. I guess we just went with open minds and to see how the day played out. We got out of the door and it started chucking it down, so not a good start :(

There's some woodland not very far from the house, with what i thought would be some secluded spots away from prying eyes but when we got where we were going, there was evidence of previous visits. Whether from others interested in the craft or not, the state of the area left a lot to be desired. After a little clean up operation, filling a few carrier bags with crap, we chose our spot with 2 reasonably close tree's with forks we could jam our ridge pole into, as we had next to no cordage.

GVPiXJzl.jpg

We built a little fire pit, so as to lessen the risk of it spreading. We tried for around 30 mins to create a fire but failed pretty miserably. I even cheated and brought a little cotton wool along, just in case we couldnt get the tinder lit due to the damp. I think damp is a pretty conservative description of anything we could find, so after the cotton wool dieing out and quite a bit of smoke, we gave up. On the plus side, i'd say i had a lot of practice trying to land sparks where i want them from my fire steel.

After giving up on the fire i managed to persuade the little un to drag a shed load of longer poles to our spot, Starting with the ridge pole, which had a large curve at one end. That suited our space quite well actually as it wedged in pretty strongly on the left hand side tree, due to a fork and small branch in close proximity to each other. After putting the ridge pole in and starting to lay on some of our longer poles we came up with this.

F3QXKUUl.jpg

I wasnt happy at all with it and took all the poles off the back and started again, as it looked terrible. It actually held together quite well but i wasn't planning ahead at all and thought we might have some issues getting enough of a layer on because of the curves. I tore it down and we did about 15 trips to gather enough to where i was reasonably happy with the base layer.

dSVM7Xbl.jpg

After getting the base layer up, we started weaving a load of smaller sticks in and found a bed of what i can only describe as something similar to cat tails. We took some of those and wove them in as well. Now the rain started coming down pretty heavy at this point and without a fire, we were cold, hungry and pretty miserable. I dont think it came out too bad for our first ever try and because it's so close to home. We're hopefully gunna finish it off over the course of this week, take some pictures and then bring it all back down and send it back to nature. Here's the end of todays work. We did start to gather some leaves but the rain scared us off. Can't wait to get back out there.

0nbQvTol.jpg

Any criticism, advice or suggestions are welcomed. We're totally new to this and don't want to get it any bad habits that we have to change later. Hopefully you enjoyed my little review and i havn't made any horrible mistakes.

Fergs

Last edited:

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
It's surrounded by housing estates and the main road through Leeds, so to even have somewhere we can go within walking distance makes me really grateful. It's a large enough area and will be amazing to be in during the summer months as the cover will be more than sufficient.

Cleaning up is the least we could do. Nature is letting us play and practice. We should definitely take care of it.

It will definitely be the first of many. I'd be out there myself for the rest of the day if i could but the little un had to come home as she was soaked and starting to moan hehe.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Getting out to the woods is always a good thing, no matter what you end up doing.

my tips would be take a thermos of tea/coffee and some biscuits :) always a good pick me up when things are working out the way you had hoped.

using a cotton ball isnt cheating, if you didn't already then rub some Vaseline into the ball to increase the time it burns for. The key with getting a fire started is preparation, but not getting a fire going is not failing, its just you have found 1 way that you cant get it started. When its been wet its hard to find good wood for a fire, a good place to look it dead fallen hanging in the trees. Small twigs caught in trees can be collected and put in your pocket to dry out a bit.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
Using the forks and no cordage is the best way, as you found out it was solid.

Ref the fire-steel, if you 'pin down' your cotton wool tinderball with the rod and then scrape down the rod, you will get the spark right where it is needed and the tinder won't move.

Also a good call on when to quit. If you get kids wet and cold then they will be put off easily next time!

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
0nbQvTol.jpg

Any criticism, advice or suggestions are welcomed. We're totally new to this and don't want to get it any bad habits that we have to change later. Hopefully you enjoyed my little review and i havn't made any horrible mistakes.

Fergs

That is an excellent start to the debris shelter, some more sticks weaved into the gaps and then ferns, leaves etc making the outer skin will see a very fine windbreak! Good efforts all round!

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
The pics were taken on my phone and didnt pick up all the sticks we have in the shelter properly. We have the larger ones you can see and then the stems of the cat tail looking things in there as well, which were really thin and created a reasonable web to catch the leaves.

I have to admit, im pretty chuffed with it. There's still a lot to be done but for a first couple hours out, i dont think its too bad. Still a lot to learn though :)

*edit* i uploaded the picture http://i.imgur.com/cdI0Mp1.jpg so you can see it in full size. it shows a lot more detail and you can see the really small stuff we have weaved in

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice photos. For a day trip take a cheap plastic tarp and some garden twine then you only need the ridge pole for your waterproof shelter. Great to see the youngster involved too :) Just type tarp into an ebay search.

Fjord

Dec 28, 2013
Bolton
Looks good to me - I'm going to be following your experiences with interest; I'm fairly new to the bushcraft world but spend a fair amount of time camping. Being on this 'site though has caused me to appreciate that what I do at the moment is more akin to glamping...

Super story

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Yeah i definitely think a tarp is the next main thing on the list. She hasnt shut up about it all day so it's hit the right spot heh

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
great to see the little one out, good trip out and fun had by you both...;)

as rik said a cheep tarp and some string will sort the shelter, and take a flask with you is always a good idea for the youngen, hot chocolate hey....:):):)

now for your fire, dont be down about not getting it first time, the amount of water we have had of late most wood is soaked. try taking some cotton wool and some kindling, have a read through the fire thread on here for some ideas. also try taking a stove with you, you can make a hobo stove for pennies, and use a pan from home if needed, for the stove use a catering size bean tin, ask in the local pub that serves food, they should have one and just give it to you, perfect size, just cut a hole in the front to feed wood in and punch or drill some air holes. as for fuel you can use hexi, fire lighters, wood or a simple meths stove instead, great stoves, i always go back to my one after a while.

if you want to make a really really easy meths stove have a look on youtube for the cat food can stove, you dont have to use a cat food can, a very small bean can or tuna can would also work too.

have a look at this thread for hobo stove ideas...

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33879&highlight=hobo+stove

keep up the good work and if you need any help just give me a PM mate.

regards.

chris.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks good :). A cheap foam sleeping matt is a good buy, somewhere dry to sit and its a start to your overnight gear.

Anywhere near Kirkstall by any chance?

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Im halfway through the Hobo Stove thread and im itching to make one hah. Curse you!

It's not Kirkstall Copperhead. It's Killingbeck :)

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Ah ok don't know it but I used to like Kirkstall Valley nature reserve when I lived in Leeds.

fergsuk

Forager
Dec 21, 2013
Leeds
Never been there. The place in the photo's is within 10 mins walk so i cant complain at having something so readily available :)

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
We all start somewhere and talking little one with you means you are both learning as you go.

there are loads of threads on here about easy and simple kit to make, hobo stoves are one, also fire in wet conditions tests everyone skills.

Here is a link to Paul Kirtley thread, he has 20 free videos and loads of free advice. http://paulkirtley.co.uk/ hope that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE