First bowl and another bone nalbinding needle

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Thanks for the kid comments folks!

heres the last two, made from the blanks I cut a couple of days back, one sycamore and one from some plum I was given a few years back.

imagejpg1_zps072b2da7.jpg

Thats enough for now, got other projects backed up and the sheds full of sawdust!

ATB

Tom

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
They are quite deep, except one, I wouldn't want to stick owt bigger in my mouth. Ttea spoon for scale. Apart from the small one and the flattish one below it the all hold more than a desert spoon. Yes you made me paranoid enough to just measure them! The handles are quite long.

imagejpg1_zps8843f7fd.jpg

I do need to do a ladle to go with th cawl spoons and some more cooking spoons, I've inflicted pics of the other cooking spoons I've done on you before.

ATB

Tom

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I do need to do a ladle to go with the cawl spoons and some more cooking spoons, I've inflicted pics of the other cooking spoons I've done on you before.

ATB

Tom

Its more cooking spoons I was thinking of. I use wooden cooking spoons every day - but I rarely eat with one. I bet thats true of lots of people. So why do we not carve more cooking spoons?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Cracking stuff Tom, you'll be eating your porridge out of that bowl soon no doubt? (I have some more oatmeal recipies for you tucked away somewhere). Really like the needle. There's something very pleasing in that shape.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Good point, I suppose in my case I've a amazing ability to not have suitable wood as I don't have any trees suitable for trimming and Im loathe to nick it from the councils woods. When they trim the trees they dispose of the wood ( mainly chipped ) immediately and when ive talked to them and tree surgeons I've seen at work they haven't wanted to know. Basically short of ( the horror!) buying it Im stuck waiting to scrounge it from friends when they chop stuff down.

yes I know, I should pull my finger out.

ATB

Tom

Herself has already liberated the bowl, its too small anyway, well for the way I eat anyway.. Mind I've a couple of big piles of treen from charity shops ( and one rather nice burl bowl that was. Wedding present from on of herselfs Canuck relations.) that I should be using. We dusted them off and walnut oiled them again only last week. Yeah I need to use them. Cheers for the receipts!

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You are welcome to pick over my woodpile Tom if you are up here. Can easy set you aside some nicely seasoned stuff.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE