First bee of the year that I've seen in the garden.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
In Summer my garden is full of bees :) but though we have flowers out, from Spring bulbs to the white flowers on the blackthorn, etc., today's the first day I've seen a bee in the garden.
Kind of heartening that even though the good weather's not guaranteed, that the days really are stretching out and warming up :D

I'm enjoying the day :D

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
It's great seeing it all coming out of dormancy ready for the leafy fireworks display of buds opening. The buds are fair swelling with promise here just now. Seeing a marked difference every day. No bees yet though. Though there's been a hatch of little flying things but goodness knows what they are.

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
My client and I saw a large bee, possibly a carpenter bee but I am no expert, investigating the timbers of the cottage yesterday while we had some sunshine. Lots of hawthorn in blossom in the hedgerows here too at the mo'.

Rob.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Plenty of bumble queens around here. Birds are nesting, elder is in full leaf and most other trees are partially leafed. Working in just a tee shirt today :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
…… :sigh:…….

We've had hail storms all afternoon that have turned the garden white. I've filled the greenhouse with everything that was showing buds and had been put out to enjoy the beautiful sunshine yesterday. We're supposed to get frost tonight.

The longer days are still a pleasure though :)

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Snow on the hills too according to the weather reports. It's perishing cold I know that.
Right enough, it's not even the end of March yet though.

M

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Snow on the hills too according to the weather reports. It's perishing cold I know that.
Right enough, it's not even the end of March yet though.

M

What's the old saying?

"Cast ne'er a clout 'till May be oot!" :D
We've had some massive dumps of snow in March/April before.
Keeping my big boots by the door 'till May at least. :rolleyes:
Sent via smokesignal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
A few bees buzzing about today & a icing sugar dusting of snow on the surrounding hills; lovely. Hawthorn buds swelling and the daffs & narcisus erupting everywhere. Even saw some healthy looking brownies in one of the gin clear burns resting in the eddies. What a beautiful spring day.

nic a char

Settler
Dec 23, 2014
scotland
Aye, bees n butterflies in Fife since last week - I remember a Ben Lawers & Tarmachan trip a few Easters ago - too hot for tent/tarp & hill trout were already plump.
Climate change is here to stay = grab the good surprises & be prepared for the nasty ones

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hmmm! Could do with wee brownie cooked over an open for my tea. Cannie whack it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE