First Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

thorpey0

Aug 28, 2012
Durham
Looking at getting my first axe, I want something multi purpose and obviously I am drawn towards the small forest axe... However I have seen the Husqvarna hatchet for around £22, I know this is less useful for using two handed (I cant see myself doing much felling or major shelter building).

Is the SFA really worth the extra £45?

Cheers

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The husqavarna is a good buy. Certainly there are better axes out there but for my uses it performs well. You can split kindling and rough out carving blanks easily and it takes a good edge.

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
If you want a multi purpose axe, the Estwing hatchet, can be used as a hammer, unlike a standard axe. I do think GB make the best axes, and worth the extra, although i wouldn't abuse one. The Estwing, looks after itself.

Two Socks

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
Norway
What will you be using it for? I find the small forest axe a bit small to use two-handed and tend to grab a smaller hatchet for one-handed tasks. The husqvarna would be a good size for this. Then again, if you want to carry one axe to do it all, and this 'all' includes some felling and limbing then the SFA-size is ok. I find that I grab mine a lot less now that I have a smaller hatchet available. I do not do much 'heavy' axing though. Small diameter splitting and some carving is it for me.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
Another vote for the Estwing- quality, durability at an excellent price - now that's value!

The now make a variety of axes and hatchets, some of which lend themselves easily to bushcraft.

onfire

Forager
Oct 3, 2009
Brecon Beacons
Funnily enough I am in the opposite camp with regards to the Husqvarna ... it is a tremendously sharp edge and a lovely crafted hatchet but ... after sinking mine into my hand when it jumped from the top of a piece of VERY hard wood I never really use it. I have a Wilkinson Sword version of the Small Forest Axe (I would have the SFA if I could afford it) and it does all but the toughest logs for our woodburner. I carve (albeit rarely) and split kindling with mine and the size gives me some reassurance that I wont cut my hand off with it. My logic runs along the same lines as the thought that a pistol is more dangerous to the user than a rifle!

woodstock

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
I have owned a Husky for a year or two and pound for pound it is a great little axe, takes a keen edge and retains it, these are not the best axes around but for the money they take some beating.

rg598

Native
In my opinion, if you have never used an axe, and want to learn how to properly use one, get a full size axe. Once you know how to use it, you can play with different sizes until you find something you like. If you just want to split some small pieces of wood and do a few carving projects, a hatchet like the Husqvarna one is more than enough. An axe is a personal thing, and no one can tell you what a good all around axe would be for you. For example, for me, an all around axe is a boy's size axe. I find the Small Forest Axe and the Scandinavian Forest Axe to be too small for me. That doesn't mean they would not be perfect for someone else, but for me, they are not.

spader

Native
Dec 19, 2009
Scotland
Fiskars axes are excellent. Good performer, durable, light, easy & quick to sharpen. Nice to have 2 or 3 different size for different type of work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE