Axe Handle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 6, 2020
Scotland
Hi everyone, first proper post so if its in the wrong section of the forum my apologies!! I have bought a new axe, although the handle is obviously fit for purpose and in one peice it looks a bit rough to me. Having never really worked with wood before can someone recommend the best way of improving the finish of the handle please? Thanks in advance.

Tony (Glen Lyon Explorer)

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Assuming there is no play in the head, and no big chunks out of the handle that could weaken it, just give it a good sanding by hand going through a few levels of abrasive roughness. If it's got a coating of any kind, either varnish or old oil, I would remove that completely. Once you've got it as smooth as you want apply several coats of oil. People have different views on oil, but I just use my own mix of rapeseed and beeswax; it works well. After a few coats over a couple of days I rub it down with beeswax.

I don't go for a highly polished smooth surface as some people on the forum prefer; I have to use my axes in inclement weather and don't like the slippery feel you get when the handle gets damp and is too smooth and has been over-oiled; tool handles should provide good grip - but, to each their own.

Reactions: The Frightful
Oct 6, 2020
Scotland
Assuming there is no play in the head, and no big chunks out of the handle that could weaken it, just give it a good sanding by hand going through a few levels of abrasive roughness. If it's got a coating of any kind, either varnish or old oil, I would remove that completely. Once you've got it as smooth as you want apply several coats of oil. People have different views on oil, but I just use my own mix of rapeseed and beeswax; it works well. After a few coats over a couple of days I rub it down with beeswax.

I don't go for a highly polished smooth surface as some people on the forum prefer; I have to use my axes in inclement weather and don't like the slippery feel you get when the handle gets damp and is too smooth and has been over-oiled; tool handles should provide good grip - but, to each their own.
Thanks for the info, much appreciated. Ive just been told that the finish is meant to be like that for grip in as youve already mentioned inclement weather. Its not damaged in anyway so I think Im just going to leave it be for now. Thanks again!!

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Hi everyone, first proper post so if its in the wrong section of the forum my apologies!! I have bought a new axe, although the handle is obviously fit for purpose and in one peice it looks a bit rough to me. Having never really worked with wood before can someone recommend the best way of improving the finish of the handle please? Thanks in advance.

Tony (Glen Lyon Explorer)

Any idea what kind of axe it is? And the handle wood?

As above, sandpaper. Some people like to apply beeswax, or linseed oil, as both can help with grip. It‘s a very old and basic way to treat wood. If the handle is rough, it wouldn’t hurt to apply a bit of linseed and let it go off for a couple of days until it’s hardened and then go over the handle with a very fine sandpaper to remove fibres. Repeat until satisfied.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE