First attempt at knife from scratch.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
Made from scrap file, some copper pins and copper micro bore pipe. Handle is short piece of black buffalo horn.

DSCN4351_zps4jby9q45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
DSCN4350_zps1gglrgkw.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Sheath got from ebay after someone posted a link about them.
DSCN4352_zps4owt7txj.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Still need to tidy up with finer sandpaper, then decide whether to polish the buffalo horn. It is ok for stick handles but may be to slippy for a knife handle.

Kitharode

Forager
May 16, 2016
Todmorden
I'm always impressed by anything that people make for themselves. I'm really impressed with that knife, especially as a first attempt. :cool:

clay*pigeon

Tenderfoot
May 30, 2010
W. Scotland
Nice job, just curious how did you make the holes in the file did you normalize it for drilling and then reharden?

Roughly followed an old video of Green Pete, into wood burner last thing at night, left it till next morning. Heated it red hot, quenched in oil, then reheated till straw colour at edge, quenched again. So far so good......

Snake

Maker
Jan 5, 2017
North Wilts
Roughly followed an old video of Green Pete, into wood burner last thing at night, left it till next morning. Heated it red hot, quenched in oil, then reheated till straw colour at edge, quenched again. So far so good......

Ahh good oh, that sounds like what i have done a couple of time, just a note that may or may not help in the future, to temper to straw colour, for a more even temper, you can also throw it in the oven for a couple of hour at 200C

Dan J

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2012
Ludlow
Looks nice. Well done mate. The copper pins look nice, bit different to the normal brass/stainless steel.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE