First and Second attempt at a spoon

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

exarkun

Jan 21, 2011
Lancaster
Hi there

I had my first attempt at carving a spoon yesterday. I had a second attempt too.

Tell me what you think.

First Attempt:
2011-03-16225601.jpg

2011-03-16225624.jpg

2011-03-16225645-1.jpg

Second Attempt:
2011-03-17013257.jpg

2011-03-17013315.jpg

They aren't the best photos in the world sorry.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
What do I think?

You make me sick! That's what I think.

My fifth attempt at spoon carving was so bad I couldn't even light a fire using it as kindling, and that's insult to injury. Can you actually get worse at something the more times you try?

Really like that long bowl shape, clever that. Very nice work.

exarkun

Jan 21, 2011
Lancaster
I guess ill take making you feel sick as a complement. :D
The long shape on the first one wasn't entirely intentional. You should have seen the size of wood that I started off with!

As some point I cut off more than I meant too. I had to even it off and do the best I could with it. I used only a cheap Axe, a Mora 510 and some sandpaper. The bowl was really quite tricky. I managed to get a very rough cut of the bowl and then got rid of all the loose stuff by sanding.

I have no idea what sort of wood it is.

Thanks for the comments so far.

Last edited:

T1Viper

Nomad
Sep 24, 2010
Ayrshire
They look good. The first one looks a lot like a mini paddle.

I have only had one attempt at spoon making so far and that ended in complete disaster!

Hope my next attempt looks as good as yours

Tom

exarkun

Jan 21, 2011
Lancaster
Maybe the paddle shape is a result of my subconscious telling me that I should be on the water in a canoe!.... I spend enough time with a paddle in my hand it just couldn't help coming through.

I must admit though I feel more inclined to try doing an actual paddle! Maybe I'll give it a go!

I

IBrown

They are really good.Can you tell me what knife or tool you used to carve them?
Thanks
Ian

courtney

Tenderfoot
Feb 21, 2011
near rugby
the both look good matey better than my first attemp, still gotta finish it off before i post it if i dare that is lol. keep it up mate

exarkun

Jan 21, 2011
Lancaster
I think I would like to do something a bit bigger next... Maybe a bigger spoon for now.

I found the Bowl really quite tricky. Does anyone have any suggestions for ways to do it?

Also, can anyone tell what sort of wood it is? I can take a piccie of the rest of the branch that I got it from if that helps.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE