First and Favorite Homemade Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
This was my first attempt at knifemaking. I had modified knives in the past but had never completely designed and made my own. I did alot of research making sure I didn't rush into anything blindly. The blank was cut from an old crosscut saw. (unsure of the steel type) It was full annealed prior to shaping. I differentially hardened the blade by coating it in ceramic slip and leaving the edge exposed. It was quenched in a brine solution and double tempered (the edge is 58-60 Rc w/ a spine of 46-49 Rc) and after final finishing I applied gunblueing to help protect the blade. The handle is deer antler fastened with copper rivets and the sheath is homemade aswell. It's not particularly flawless but I don't mind its' imperfections. My knife has served me well and is my main blade when in the bush. I hope you like it.

myknife.jpg

Here is a photo of my favorite blades including a homemade neck knife and a Schade Oldtimer.
3knives.jpg

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
It looks nice. I like the handle shape - after using grohmann-esque and Nessmuk knives I'm a big believer in curved handles.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE