First Aid items Purchased. Anything i missed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bump! Surely there must be some first aid pro's out there.

A few nurses, one at least retired from nursing ( ;) ) others with training and experience. The thing is, FAKs have been talked to death, just go and look through other threads with hundreds of replies so this I would think is why replies for you are slim.

Before rushing out buying stuff you really need to train, and train then train some more.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
A few nurses, one at least retired from nursing ( ;) ) others with training and experience. The thing is, FAKs have been talked to death, just go and look through other threads with hundreds of replies so this I would think is why replies for you are slim.

Before rushing out buying stuff you really need to train, and train then train some more.
Im thinking of doing a slightly more advanced FA course. Ill have a look.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I havent done an official course but I have done the basic first aid. Recovery position how to put on a bandage. CPR. And stuff like that but would like to know how to deal with larger wound and things like that.
Thanks
Jacob

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Sam Splints, various sizes
Marker pen
Paracord
Gaffa tape
Eye wash
thermometer
glucose tablets

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Looks like good well rounded kit.

End of the day though your kit will need to be tailored around what you are comfortable using.
It's no good having an Israeli bandage if you don't know how to use it and drop at the sight of blood.

It'll also need tailoring for the areas and terrain your walking on and the seasons.

I have several of the Israeli type bandages but rarely take one hiking unless i'm camping, as i don't tend to use a knife much at all if i'm out on day hikes.

A few things i carry that i don't see on your list.

Eye wash as Imagedude says
Duct tape (i roll up sections in on itself so it takes up hardly any room)
Imodium ( in case i get the runs while out)
Ibuprofen (Mild pain killer, also great to stop swelling)
Soluble Aspirin (a mate has a heart condition so i keep a few handy)
Bit of Paracord (comes in handy in case a temporary tourniquet or splint is needed)
Recover Ice (self contained Ice wrap as the rocks here are like bear traps)
Resuscitation mask

Here is my usual kit.

IMG_1780.jpg

IMG_1784.jpg

IMG_1770.jpg

IMG_1773.jpg

IMG_1775.jpg

As you can see the Israeli type bandage is heavy and bulky and to be honest it does nothing that a tourniquet and/or pressure on the wound will do.

IMG_1777.jpg

I do keep one in each car though as space and weight is not a issue there.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
This kit is getting huge and a little OTT for silver DofE! You only need a small personal FAK with the basics in. If you want to have a few fancies, then maybe designate someone to have a team FAK that has a couple of larger dressings etc in. A small field dressing, roll of zinc oxide, a couple of plasters, and pain relief is all that you really need for a lightweight personal FAK. Most other elements can be improvised if needs be, or can double up with other items in your kit (e.g. the tweezers from your swiss army knife). That's enough to sustain life in 99.9999% of the time on a DofE style hike until help has been sought if appropriate from the nearest road/house.

Not really convinced that you need an assortment of sam splints, haemostatic agents, shell dressings, tourniquets etc for a 3 day bimble along (e.g.) the south downs.

It's good fun squaring all your kit away before you go and being prepared for every eventuality, but you have to carry it all!

Last edited:

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
This kit is getting huge and a little OTT for silver DofE! You only need a small personal FAK with the basics in. If you want to have a few fancies, then maybe designate someone to have a team FAK that has a couple of larger dressings etc in. A small field dressing, roll of zinc oxide, a couple of plasters, and pain relief is all that you really need for a lightweight personal FAK. Most other elements can be improvised if needs be, or can double up with other items in your kit (e.g. the tweezers from your swiss army knife). That's enough to sustain life in 99.9999% of the time on a DofE style hike until help has been sought if appropriate from the nearest road/house.

Not really convinced that you need an assortment of sam splints, haemostatic agents, shell dressings, tourniquets etc for a 3 day bimble along (e.g.) the south downs.

It's good fun squaring all your kit away before you go and being prepared for every eventuality, but you have to carry it all!
Thats what im doing. Im not going to get a sam splint. dont worry. My DofE silver is two days a way so it wont come in time and i also don't feel the need. I am creating the more comprehensive FAK for our group.
The rest are carrying a small FAK each.
Thanks for the advice.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE