First Aid items Purchased. Anything i missed?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Placed a largish FAK order with bound tree medical on Jock's recommendation. Thanks for that! :)

Cohesive Bandage - 10cm x 4m (Single) Double
Cotton Crepe Bandage (10cm x 4m)
Blue Detectable Plasters - Assorted (Box of 20)
Wound Closure Strips (6mm x 75mm) Double
Adhesive Wound Pad - 6 x 7cm (Pack of 5)
Adhesive Wound Pad - 8 x 15cm (Pack of 5)
Non-Sterile Non-Woven Triangular Bandage (Single)
Micropore Tape (1.25cm x 9.1m)
Trauma Shears
Wound Cleansing Wipes (Pack of 10)
Sterile Non-Woven Swabs - 10 x 10cm (Pack of 5)
Steripods - 20ml (Single) Double
Low Adherent Pad Dressing - 5 x 5cm (Pack of 5)
Glutose - Single Tube (15g)
Blunt / Sharp Scissors (5in / 13cm)
Tweezers for Splinters (4.5in / 11.5cm)
Religlove Nitrile Powder-Free Exam Gloves - Pair (Medium) Double
Cohesive Bandage - 5cm x 4m (Single)
Conforming Bandage - 15cm x 4m (Single)
Masterchef Blue Dressing - Eye Pad FA526
Alcohol Prep Pads (Pack of 200)- This is the smallest amount they had.

So what do you guys think? It came to a total of £31.55. Have i missed anything?
Taking this on my silver DofE next weekend. When i did my bronze we where critisized for not having a proper FAK. Not letting that happen again! :) All going into a Maxpedition FR-1 Medical pouch.

Last edited:

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
How about a tick tool? Useful if you are unfortunate to pick one up and easier than tweezers, I always include a foil blanket too, weight next to nothing and help with shock. Looks like a good kit though, hopefully you'll never need it.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
smelling salts might be a good addition, same with glucose tablets.
Is that what they call methanol crystals. It is really strong. I have some. Will put it in. Good idea. I also have some glucose tablets. I will put those in. I have included some glucose gels.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
How about a tick tool? Useful if you are unfortunate to pick one up and easier than tweezers, I always include a foil blanket too, weight next to nothing and help with shock. Looks like a good kit though, hopefully you'll never need it.
Oh, yeh. I forgot about that. Ill get one right away. I have a foil blanket already so ill put that in. Yeh i hope in never have to use it but its good to have.

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
Revised list with things i need to get and things i have at home.

Cohesive Bandage - 10cm x 4m (Single) Double
Cotton Crepe Bandage (10cm x 4m)
Blue Detectable Plasters - Assorted (Box of 20)
Wound Closure Strips (6mm x 75mm) Double
Adhesive Wound Pad - 6 x 7cm (Pack of 5)
Adhesive Wound Pad - 8 x 15cm (Pack of 5)
Non-Sterile Non-Woven Triangular Bandage (Single)
Micropore Tape (1.25cm x 9.1m)
Trauma Shears
Wound Cleansing Wipes (Pack of 10)
Sterile Non-Woven Swabs - 10 x 10cm (Pack of 5)
Steripods - 20ml (Single) Double
Low Adherent Pad Dressing - 5 x 5cm (Pack of 5)
Glutose - Single Tube (15g)
Blunt / Sharp Scissors (5in / 13cm)
Tweezers for Splinters (4.5in / 11.5cm)
Religlove Nitrile Powder-Free Exam Gloves - Pair (Medium) Double
Cohesive Bandage - 5cm x 4m (Single)
Conforming Bandage - 15cm x 4m (Single)
Masterchef Blue Dressing - Eye Pad FA526
Alcohol Prep Pads (Pack of 200)- This is the smallest amount they had.

Smelling salts
Tick remover
Glucose tabs
foil blanket
Burn cream

Lyope

Tenderfoot
Sep 6, 2012
London
www.lyope.com
I recently had cause to go and examine the contents of my first aid box. Nothing major (I just needed a plaster) but it got me thinking; I play with knives and axes quite a lot. I'm always making things and sharp, pointy, dangerous tools are usually involved.

What am I going to do if I stick an axe through my leg or someone I'm working with manages to slice an artery open? Clearly, a box of plasters isn't going to be much use. I've done a decent amount of first aid training and when I looked through our box of bandages, I was really quite ashamed to see that what I thought was a competent kit was actually very lacking.

The main thing we were short of were a bunch of serious trauma dressings. Specifically, I realised we needed a couple of Israeli bandages and some kind of haemostatic product to treat the sort of limb/pointy interface issues that really worry me. Someone on another forum recommended this US military issue combat IFAK, which arrived last week. Although some of the dressings are a bit short dated, that's not really a major issue. For £34, it represents fist class value and I'm really impressed. Here's what's in there:

acu-med-kit-LRG.jpg

Pack One (Minor First Aid Module): 10x water purification tablets, 1x lip balm, 4x safety pins, 2x triangular bandage, 1x rehydration salts, 1x skin marker, antiseptic ointment, 10x plasters, 1x field medical card, 1x First Aid instruction sheet.

Pack Two (Trauma Module): 2x 'Israeli' First Field Dressing (6" size) (expiry 2013), 1x (CAT) Combat Application Tourniquet, 1 pair EMT Shears, 2x gauze bandage, 1 roll surgical adhesive tape, 1x Nasopharyngeal airway.

Pack Three: 1x 50g Quik Clot Combat Gauze with blood clotting agent (expires April 2014).

I appreciate that not everyone's going to appreciate a Nasopharyngeal airway or a Combat Application Tourniquet, but hey - it was worth it for the Quick Clot and the dressings alone.

I still need to get some smaller bandages, new plasters, tape and a bunch of over-the-counter NSAIDs and I'll have a look at Bound Tree Medical, thanks for that. They look quite good!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
head torch?
paper and pencil?
electrical tape's really good for getting plasters to stay on wet bendy fingers
carrier bags are good for keeping things clean, collecting samples of whatever strange mushroom did the damage, picking up the wrappers from dressings etc.
i've started keeping my phone in my first aid kit, they're both mainly for emergencies so it makes sense to me to keep them together.

cheers

stuart

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
I recently had cause to go and examine the contents of my first aid box. Nothing major (I just needed a plaster) but it got me thinking; I play with knives and axes quite a lot. I'm always making things and sharp, pointy, dangerous tools are usually involved.

What am I going to do if I stick an axe through my leg or someone I'm working with manages to slice an artery open? Clearly, a box of plasters isn't going to be much use. I've done a decent amount of first aid training and when I looked through our box of bandages, I was really quite ashamed to see that what I thought was a competent kit was actually very lacking.

The main thing we were short of were a bunch of serious trauma dressings. Specifically, I realised we needed a couple of Israeli bandages and some kind of haemostatic product to treat the sort of limb/pointy interface issues that really worry me. Someone on another forum recommended this US military issue combat IFAK, which arrived last week. Although some of the dressings are a bit short dated, that's not really a major issue. For £34, it represents fist class value and I'm really impressed. Here's what's in there:

acu-med-kit-LRG.jpg

I appreciate that not everyone's going to appreciate a Nasopharyngeal airway or a Combat Application Tourniquet, but hey - it was worth it for the Quick Clot and the dressings alone.

I still need to get some smaller bandages, new plasters, tape and a bunch of over-the-counter NSAIDs and I'll have a look at Bound Tree Medical, thanks for that. They look quite good!

That looks like a great kit you've got there. Does need a few things adding in though. I will try to get some of those Israeli bandages. Do check out Bound tree I think they are reasonably priced and free delivery is great!

Outdoordude

Native
Mar 6, 2012
Kent
head torch?
paper and pencil?
electrical tape's really good for getting plasters to stay on wet bendy fingers
carrier bags are good for keeping things clean, collecting samples of whatever strange mushroom did the damage, picking up the wrappers from dressings etc.
i've started keeping my phone in my first aid kit, they're both mainly for emergencies so it makes sense to me to keep them together.

cheers

stuart
Will definitely get some electrical tape. A head torch is good but a little pricey and might take up a large amount of room. I have put in a small photon LED torch though. Pencil and paper will definitely go in. Might include some largish zip lock bags in here for evidence collecting. Might put in a cheap phone. Might be a bit hard to keep charged. Thanks for the help! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE