Firesteels and Whetstones

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hi All,

Seems like most of us like to carry a whetstone and firesteel with us when we're carrying a knife. If you're lucky enough to have one of the very swanky new woodlore sheaths this isn't a problem http://www.bushcraftuk.net/community/showthread.php?t=5537

I thought my solution might be of interest for those of us without a spare £60, it lets you securely carry your firesteel and whetstone alongside any knife.

steelandstonepouch.jpg

Please excuse the quality of the workmanship, it's my first ever adventure into the world of leathercraft and started life as a handbag from Oxfam for 20p! It does the job a treat though.

Scoops

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
greg2935 said:
Looks like excellent work, how tight is the firesteel held?

Thanks :eek:): The steel is held pretty tight, I soaked the leather and then stitched the sleeve in place with the firesteel in situ. The leather shrank as it dried to be a perfect snug fit, you can turn it upside down and give it a good shake without the steel moving.

Scoops

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
That looks like a tops idea Mate.....can't think why it's not been thought of an put into production before!

I think a little trip to my local Oxfam is in order when I'm off work later this week :biggthump

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Excellent! I've been toying with doing a similar device, but with the option of using it to convert the belt sheath to a kneck sheath too.
Must get some more leather, my old school satchel has just about been used up!

Dave

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
tomtom said:
Great Work Mate!

does it attach to your belt?

Cheers :eek:):

Yes it does, there's a belt loop round the back.

TOP TIP: Stitch the belt loop on before you stitch up the pouch coz you can't get access to stitch the belt loop on afterwards unless your hands are smaller than your whetstone. Of course I would never be *that* stupid and have to unpick everything. :banghead: :oops: :-D

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Andy said:
I see it was made by a yorkshire man.

I looks very well made. I'm sure you could sell them if you wanted to

:eek:): That's £59.79 I have left to spend on beer :eek:):

Well if any manufacturer's want to make me a generous offer for my innovative design...

Scoops

scoops_uk

Nomad
Feb 6, 2005
Jurassic Coast
Hoodoo said:
Looks like that will be my next leather project.

If anyone does have a go I'd love to see the finished result :eek:):

The only change I considered was possibly adding a pocket for a single field dressing and maybe a couple of elastoplasts, sort of minimal first aid kit solely for knife cuts. A variation on the always take your first aid kit when you take your knife philosophy.

I couldn't think of a tidy way of doing it though, and it's the sort of thing that could get impractical if you kept bolting bits on.

Scoops

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Great idea, and well made too. Given me yet another idea to make. And I have just rememberd that I hae an old leather breifcase/satchel hiding in a cupboard looking very worried now

G

Gaz Lander

That's a great idea, it's gotta be better than my current method of using an old baccy tin.

*Two thumbs up, Way up!*

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Thats a great idea done well.
Now all you need to do is make one for your basha, one for your billy can, one for your water bottle, one for food........ :rolleyes:

You'll see exactly what I mean once you start to get "the bug" for leather working.

Nicely done though mate, and a great source of cheap leather too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE