firesteel/picture Comp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I've been having a tidy up around my desk this afternoon and I found a firesteel lurking under a pile of receipts and sweet wrappers :eek: It's a bit smaller than i normally make (probably the end of a bar that needed using up), so I'm going to give it away! :) It is about 2 1/2" long and is made to strike flint, but the end is sharpened to also work on a ferro rod

Steelnecky.jpg

It will be given to the first person who can correctly tell me what I was doing to create this pile of wood chips AND what i did with some of those chips.

question1.jpg

answers in a post below please :)

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I reckon you wer using an adze Dave and you used some of the chips to boil up your kelly kettle for a brew after the hard work .

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Searching for a monkey's mind!!
C da C.
( and then selling the chips as Dave Budd 'Bushcraft Fire Chips' to 'city folk'!?? )
Chris.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Well, I think the kelly kettle sitting to the side and the tea making stuff must've given that part away :D

Yes I was using the chips to fuel my kettle. Seasoned ash is great for a quick brew goodjob

I've not been making a paddle or a canoe, my pond tends to be a bit seasonal :eek:

Not been making bows, though the wood was originally cut/split with that in mind.

The only tools I used were the axe in the block and a rawhide Thor to split off the bulk of the excess wood.

Chris, you are almost there mate, but my monkey's mind is still inside my head ;) I do like the idea of floggin the chips to city folk though :lmao: also axes are made from steel you twit :rolleyes:

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
And the winner is...

my guess, chips for a brew up and you were making some axe handles :)

Spot on there Mesquite :)

handlescomp.jpg

Mostly from some ash that was cut a couple of years ago and some of the staves used on the bowmaking courses that year, the rest has been sat waiting for me to use for other things. Sadly it has been sat under a tarp for too long now and bits are spalting and other bits have got worm holes :( Hence the fact that I've removed a lot of wood :rolleyes: There is also a hawthorn handle there that I'm going to try on a hawk

the very oversized blanks are now in the airing cupboard drying out. The last couple of handles that I carved from that batch of wood did a big banana when it dried out fully. This time I'm taking no chances and leaving plenty of meat to correct wobbles!

Mesquite, pm me your address and I'll pop the steel in teh post for you. Welldone goodjob

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE