Firesteel loop on your knife sheath?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I looking to get a new knife, and the one I'm interesting in has the option of a different sheath with a firesteel loop, which got me thinking: do people on the whole like carrying a firesteel on their sheaths, and if so why? My gut instinct is that it's just something to get in the way and that my fire lighting kit all goes in a pouch together, with backups in my survival pouch, but the firesteel just looks so nice (curly birch handle) I'm finding it hard to resist :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I really like them, I think there handy, useful and the problem of the firesteel getting lost is nil if you secure it with a bit of cord. I think they're great! :)

Oakleaf

Jun 6, 2004
Moray
I work with a sheath knife on my belt. Working is the most likely time I'm going to get stuck out or otherwise need some sort of 'survival aid'. If I have my trousers on, I have my belt on ( barring some horrific sequence of events involving a rabid ferret ), if my belt is on I have a knife, ferro rod, a Leatherman Wave and a torch with me - that's a nice starting position to be in.

Some think it spoils the look of a sheath - I can understand that and respect it. But for me, it's simply one less thing to think about.

A lighter is convenient, but I would never rely on one.

But really down to personal choice - but one of those topics that seems to bring folks to blows.

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
A fire steel loop is always good on a sheath,the chances of be court out anywhere in this country and needing a fire is very rare.But having it there means you can use it,practice with it coz at the end of the day that's what you want to do as a (bushcrafter) ;)

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
fair doo's... i have one but carry it in a pocket (fire steel) but being a smoker have a zippo as well....

TBH I do carry several lighters stashed in various places but I still love my ferro rod. In terms of cost I've had it over a decade and its lit hundreds of fires, I reckon that's worth a tenner.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Aye here's a link to the poll that was done in 2012 LINK It was pretty much 70% against / 30% for. But to each his own, if I remember it was sparked by a maker who couldn't decide if he should offer it as standard or as an extra on his sheaths.

I personally don't like it, preferring instead to use a separate little firesteel holster, here's mine: -

IMG_0355.JPG

But suit yourself, it's all about having fun and finding what suits your needs.

ATB,
GB.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's really nice GB.

Cheers Copperhead, I bought it from Spaniel Man way back in 2007. That's not a great picture of it, it's usually kept better polished. But it's a great way of keeping it handy, meant I could wear it in the shop for lighting stoves for customers which I couldn't have really done if it was on a knife sheath. Also like to keep my sheath nice and uncluttered.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE