Firesteel loop on your knife sheath?

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Rancid badger of this parish made them. Not sure if he still does but you could drop him a pm.

Sent using new fangled smoke signals

Tomcoles

Settler
Jul 21, 2013
Buckinghamshire
An easy fix to secure the fire steel is put an elastic cord that can only just stretch the length of the steel. Pop it in its loop and pull the elastic over to secure it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Hmmm, lots more food for thought! Those firesteel pouches look great (though I prefer not to load up my belt too much personally).

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I carried my ferro rod on my sheath for about 15 years. With a new sheath design I went with, the ferro loop made the sheath look odd, so I left it off and attach the rod to my belt with paracord and pop it in my pocket. Now even after about 3 years, i still sometimes forget my ferro rod as I was so used to it being part of my knife kit.

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
I guess I'm not entirely sold on firesteels to start off with, as they seem inferior to lighters or matches in everyday situations, plus I only really need to light a fire once a day at most, but it seems fashionable now to include them on knife sheaths, so I was just wondering from peoples experience what practical benefits there are to this? I appreciate and respect that everyone has their preferences, which is why I'm asking :)

Also, does anyone know of a sharpening rod that's the same diameter as an army firesteel and so would fit a standard loop on a sheath? This, to me, would probably be more useful.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
When I make myself a knife I usually put a firesteel on it, been that way for 11 years since I got my first Bison Forester. I never light fires with a lighter 'it's cheating!'

crosslandkelly

Jun 9, 2009
North West London
I guess I'm not entirely sold on firesteels to start off with, as they seem inferior to lighters or matches in everyday situations, plus I only really need to light a fire once a day at most, but it seems fashionable now to include them on knife sheaths, so I was just wondering from peoples experience what practical benefits there are to this? I appreciate and respect that everyone has their preferences, which is why I'm asking :)

Also, does anyone know of a sharpening rod that's the same diameter as an army firesteel and so would fit a standard loop on a sheath? This, to me, would probably be more useful.

My Opinel has a steel, and it is the mutts nuts, but it is half the diameter of my Ferro rod.

steel 001.jpgsteel 002.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ferro rods are fun. Where is the fun in using a lighter or match. Making fire from just sparks is very satisfying. It's halfway between using a match and using flint :D So it's a bit cheaty, but you can get 10,000 plus fires from a ferro rod and it doesn't have the weaknesses lighters and matches have. What's not to love

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
And far more fragile :).

I've been a smoker (statement of fact and most certainly not a boast) for nearly 25 years now and always have a lighter with me wherever I go....and while they have on very odd occasions got wet and not worked for half an hour or so, I have never had a cheap disposable lighter break on me. I've had zippos break and those "jet turbine heat coil super duper" lighters fail in no time....but a cheap disposable is tough in my experience. I have a black bic lighter on a cord to go round my neck that I used to wear raving in my much younger days, it's like Trigger's broom, I keep changing the flint and filling up the gas and it's still going 20 odd years later! Lol

Having said all that....I have a fire steel loop on most of my knife sheaths ;)

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
a zippo .

Why on earth carry a Zippo? Cheap disposable lighters last far longer between fills, cost much much less, the rope burner types are more wind resistant than a zippo and they have far more lights per fill than a zippo.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I think the fero rod is that happy half way house that us bushy types use because it feels like we are doing something ancient when we make a fire with it. The reality is it is a fairly modern item. It is almost like a match disguised as a flint and steel. A little harder to start a fire with than a match but 20 easier than a flint and steel and 100 times easier than fire by friction. I have a few fire steels and a few sheaths with and without loops. Personally I mostly use my metal clipper lighter which I think is the most under rated lighter in the outdoor world. Bullet proof, reliable and available for under a fiver.

By the way I have seen a guy who makes sheaths with two loops the second loop is for a ceramic sharpening rod. Presumably these ceramic rods are available elsewhere.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
Why on earth carry a Zippo?

'Cause it looks boss? ;)

Are zippos sold as 'windproof'..? Last time I tried using mine to light a fire it was a total disaster! Tried lighting a smoke with it in the wind and it was also, a disaster!

Can't even remember the last time I used a ferro rod to light a fire.. But I certainly wouldn't want one on a knife sheath, there are far more uses for a knife than being jockied by a mega uber alien stick of sun sparks!

Why must we burn stuff just because a knife is on our belt..?

janso

Dec 31, 2012
Penwith, Cornwall
I'm a big fan of a fire steel carried in my wets kit; have done for a very long time and easier than a lighter for lighting stoves.

Sent from my hidey hole using Tapatalk... sssh!

ammo

Settler
Sep 7, 2013
by the beach
When a Zippo/windproof lighter does run out. You have a striker, a bundle of pre-soaked cotton wool, all in a secure container. How people rely on the cheap disposable lighters, ill never understand.
They are poorly, cheaply made. Anyone who has used one alot, will tell you the flint often flies out. The clipper lighter at about £1 is much better value, but still not a patch on a Zippo..
Each to their own.
Why on earth carry a Zippo? Cheap disposable lighters last far longer between fills, cost much much less, the rope burner types are more wind resistant than a zippo and they have far more lights per fill than a zippo.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales

Snap again - one of the best things I have, the little scraper is the business for shredding tinder and general scraping, and it means I don't have to take out a knife to make fire which is a major benefit sometimes. I keep mine in a pocket of my pack as I hate a beltfull of stuff...........I love mine!

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
I have a black bic lighter on a cord to go round my neck that I used to wear raving in my much younger days, it's like Trigger's broom, I keep changing the flint and filling up the gas and it's still going 20 odd years later! Lol

That's the best thing that I've kept from my clubbing / festival days ( the lost years and knackered short term memory aren't as useful....).

If anyone wants to do this, get a small drill bit and droll a small hole through the fattest part of the slopey bit leading up to the flint. Attach a suitable length of cord to go over your head and that's the job done.

If you can't interpret the above instructions and blow part of your hand off, I'm afraid that's your fault.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE