Firelighting, mojo style....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ScottC said:
If you watch the video closely you can see that hot flamming matter drips from the mass as he transfers it several metres across the forest floor to his fire site.

The hot flamming matter dripping from the mass is actually sparks from a sparkler Scott. The kind kids play with on bonfire night. :rolleyes:

The thermite powder is in a dog food tin in the firebed and mojo was using the sparkler to ignite it.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
ScottC said:
The fire also seems to be dangerously close to one of the trees. All joking aside, it's just not a responsible thing to do from a bushcraft perspective, especially if you then post a clip of it on an open web forum with no explanation about any safety precautions taken (if any) which is then condoned by members of the MOD team

Wow, another person to criticise my moderation for not having the requisite level of "bushcraft" stuffing in my shirt. I'll be getting a complex. :rolleyes:

Scott, you dont really know what you are talking about mate. The only real risk is to mojo's kit. You obviously dont know what thermite is and have no experience of it so you cant realy make a judgement of how dangerous it is (or isnt). How do you know it isnt in mojo's back garden? How do you know what the weather conditions are like? how do you know if the ground was wet or dry? How do you know the fire brigade wasnt there with 14 pumps just out of camera shot? How do you know mojo isnt licenced to handle explosives?

You made a lot of assumptions, jumped to a lot of conclusions and decided to put your wig on and sit in judgement on a moderator. No need is there really? ;)

Just kick back and smile, the video is funny. :)

Reactions: scanker

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
Inspired video! But aren't you forgetting the risk that a bird might fly by, catch its wings alight, and crash into a bale of hay which the farmer accidently impregnated with magnesium, thereby setting acres of stubble and forest alight in a matter of minutes? You have to be responsible and think of these risks when you post on an open forum, tut tut.

Reactions: mojofilter

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Martyn said:
Thermite grenades as a viable bushcraft accesory? Of course I was joking, I was just seeing if anyone was daft enough to take me seriously. :rolleyes:

Fair enough then..... :) Lets just hope none of our younger members take you a little too seriously then hey ;)

Martyn said:
Wow, another person to criticise my moderation for not having the requisite level of "bushcraft" stuffing in my shirt. I'll be getting a complex. :rolleyes:

I don't really understand that statement Martyn, Scott's clearly trying to look after the best interests of BCUK so why belittle him with comments about the stuffing in your shirt?
If he doesn't know all the facts then correct him as you have but why say the above. Tony asked us to self moderate and look after the site better ourselves a while ago and to me that is what Scott is doing.

Scott (and others of us) have made some major assumptions here but with a video like that posted and no explanation from Mojo then is that really a suprise?

Anyway, I'm off to the woods now and will happily let this thread lay.

Cheers,

Bam. :)

Reactions: Ed and British Red

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
Martyn

I wasn't trying to have a dig at you in any way and I made no reference whatsoever to your bushcrafting ability so that was an unfair statement you made.

I was expressing my concerns based on what was presented, a link to something that offered no explanation and which to my mind presented an immediate risk to the forest, mojofilter did not tell us what it was he used, what if any safety precautions he had taken, if he had any experience etc. Maybe if mojofilter had returned to explain away some of our concerns I' m sure none of this would have happened.

The science behind it is irrelevant because the fact is I saw something which not only posed a risk to that ecosystem but something which could also land BCUK in some bother if it lead to further incidents.

However, I did not realise you were such an authority on explosive materials and the environments in which they are safe to be used so I'm happy to leave it alone now.
:)

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I’ve refrained from commenting on this as I’ve got no time in the next few days to enter into any debate, however, hopefully I’ll be able to say what I’m thinking, even though I’m going to cram it into just a few minutes of typing :D

I saw the Vid and thought, heck, that’s extreme, then it was pointed out to me that the camera and the film quality make it look worse than it is, which I thought was a fair point, I’ve got a few family video’s that look like the house is burning down, but it’s not, it was just a small fire. I also see the video as extreme in the way the fire is lit, but it’s a chemical fire and they’re quite a different kettle of fish from the normal route we take.

I appreciated that it was a sparkler being lit initially, that in itself looks quite big and bright, but it is a sparkler. The flare of the reaction was very big and I’d not advocate anyone dong the same unless they’re experienced handling such material and they had assessed the conditions it was being done under, if the chemicals were in a Tin then the main flare would be very contained, although there was a few sparks I’ve been sitting around fires before and had glowing embers spat out.

Because of the comments made people will be in a position to judge for themselves the rights and wrongs of it and that’s what we agreed a while back, I think that Scott’s and others comments are very valid, we do need to be careful and we do need to make sure that people understand that they’re responsible for what they do. As I read through the thread I learned a lot and I was grateful for those that point out caution and respect, as well as those that have taken a light hearted view of the whole thing, it gives us a balanced view, the facts are there and we’re I a position to judge where we stand.

I was worried that the thread would deteriorate badly but it’s not, thanks for that.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Good grief, I cant believe we're having an argument over this.

Scott, you and Joker both posted your disgust because a moderstor (me) apparently condoned this outrageous video. That's what I meant by the "stuffed shirt" comment.

Can you imagine someone new reading this thread? They'll go away from BcUK thinking "good site, lots of information, but my goodness they certainly do take themselves seriously". Someone posts something a bit silly and the pedants queue up to tell him how awful he is.

I think I've got the best interests of BcUK at heart when I tell you to "LIGHTEN UP"!!!

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
My self as an Adult can see it as a bit of light hearted fun, but I have kids and its not really the kind of thing I want my son to see when I drum it in to him time and time again about fire safety.

Its not necessarily the video that's so bad its the fact of adults condoning it when there is lots of youngsters that look at this site, so not only can they see this video but as far as some adults here see it its fine as well being justifiable behaviour.

I would like my son to grow up being able to go out and do bushcraft without me thinking he is going to do stupid things with fire (which boys can be prone of doing) but if I can reduce this then all the better.

Sometimes I think we should consider the youngsters on here and put a little thought behind our words, considering how easily influenced they can be.

And as far as lightening up and dont be so serious, I get bollocked by my mates all the time for never being serious, and so to a certain few :nutkick:

Adi

Nomad
Dec 29, 2004
I have stayed out of this debate on purpose because I am just seen as an antagonist by some on this site but I feel impelled to comment…

When I first watched the film I thought it was a handheld flare and I thought nothing of it. Pyrotechnics are a sound way of fire lighting and is demonstrated in many survival courses. On watching it again I realised it was not a flare but some other fast burn substance and I thought it was Potassium chlorate which burns of just as violently.

I see no problem with the film as a method to fire lighting it is unlikely that others will get there hands on the materials and it’s a great demo in the right circumstances but were I think this is wrong and why there is so much criticism is because the film has been posted with no explanation. This is enforced by Mojo walking up with a can of drink which people automatically think is alcohol.

If an explanation had been posted along with a warning and no appearance of a can of beer or even just edit the film cutting out were the guy walks up, takes a swig of the beer than places it on the floor. Then post it up as an interesting tutorial then none of this would have happened.

Whether we like it or not BCUK is one of the public faces of bushcraft so it should be seen as presenting information in a responsible way!

Reactions: Wayne, Ed and Toddy

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I agree withe Adi but Scott if you were in a real Survival situation and the only option to get a fire going was a flare or another highly volatile substance I take it you would rather go cold, me I'd burn down the whole forest if it meant surviving, it may not be the best bushcraft method but survival is all about initiative - and that was a good bit of initiative if you ask me!! :argue:

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
A bloke out in the woods with his tarp set up, a beer in one hand and a sparkler in the other: It's hardly a life or death survival situation is it?

Yes if I was in a survival situation I would take whatever means necessary to ensure my survival. Although I don't see how burning down the forest is going to keep you alive when all your resources are gone, no fire wood left, all the fauna (food) have buggered off and you are probably lying face down in a ditch dying from smoke inhalation?

Think Adi hit the nail on the head there.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Gentlemen, enough. Please. :(

Personally I find pyrotechnics fascinating but I don't believe that they have any place in a living woodland.

It may be a survival technique in the right application, but it's hardly a skill I fancy emulating or encouraging.
And yes, I have used thermite and I do know that a Ferro rod is also something I am unlikely to ever manage to craft when out and about :rolleyes:
I do understand the comments of, "It's meant to be funny/ remove the stick/ ha-ha, etc., etc.." However, I don't find it funny, I don't find it bush craft and it would appear that I am not alone.
This isn't a holier than thou bushcrafter posting either; simply I disagree with the it's funny view

I don't think there's any consensus to be found on this one.

Can we agree to disagree and just let it die a quiet death?

Toddy
who appears to have found how to italicise for emphasis :cool:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hey Scott I agree with you that it isn't very funny, no-one should misuse pyro but as for the survival situation setting fire to a whole wood would make a great signal fire don't you think - it worked in Pirates of the Carribean. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE