firelighting help please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jackcbr

Native
Sep 25, 2008
Gatwick, UK
www.pickleimages.co.uk
Hi Guys

This might seem a little basic, but I'm struggling to light a fire in a pine forest. The tools I have are a firesteel and a knife. I've got dead dried pine needles, a few dried leaves and a lot of sausages to cook. Any tips on getting a fire started?

Please don't think you might be talking down to me, I won't take it personally and if I learn from it, no harm done.

Andy_P

Mar 21, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Pine needles and leaves may not catch easily, try some tinder that catches easily like cotton wool/lint/char cloth etc. Try the firesteel on a piece of paper and it does very little, then try it on cotton wool and it lights immediately. Or mash up some of the pine needle to make them 'fluffy' and easirt to catch a spark.

Good luck

dasy2k1

Nomad
May 26, 2009
Manchester
look for a dead pine tree... if you see some black ball like fungus growing on it break one off, cut it in half and strike a spark onto the inside... this should glow for long enough to get some sort of fire going!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
If you can find a rotten pine stump break it up a bit and see what's inside.

If it's mushy and pulpy, rub some up in your hands to create a fine dust, that should take a spark well from a firesteel.
If the stump is still fairly solid, break away the outer stuff to reveal a waxy interior, This can be shaved into fine feathers that take sparks really well.

Don't forget about the resin too, look for old scars and break the dried up stuff off.

Wayne

Mod
Mod
Dec 7, 2003
West Sussex
www.forestknights.co.uk
Be very careful lighting fires in woodland with pine needles. It can be very difficult to effectively extinguish the fire.

Pine needles can smoulder for months before conditions fan the flames.

However as your not too far from me drop me a line and I can give you a fire lighting master class.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Be very careful lighting fires in woodland with pine needles. It can be very difficult to effectively extinguish the fire.

Pine needles can smoulder for months before conditions fan the flames.

However as your not too far from me drop me a line and I can give you a fire lighting master class.

That's a very kind and generous offer.
happy0034.gif

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
Leaves can be a rather "iffy" proposition. Some dry leaves will burn like they have kerosene on them and others, that are equally dry, will ignite, go out and smolder, but not really burn.

Generally, on the forest floor, there will be different species of leaves laying about. Try different ones. But by all means, get a good tinder to start with. Dryer lint is good, paper birch is very good, fatwood, and of course amadou if you can locate any. I like to carry an assortment of tinders (just in case!). By the way, 0000 Steel wool (I think in the U.K. it may be called something else.) will ignite and burn even when soaking wet. Try it at home. Get a piece and put it under the faucet and get it completely wet. Shake it out, and put a cigarette lighter to it and watch it burn.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
If you create a feather stick with some pine and make some really fine curls they will light from a firesteel. This will light your feather stick and two or three will give a good start.

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I neglected to include one of my favorites. Buy some cheap Jute twine, cut it into pieces of three or four inches long and then unravel the pieces until you end up with what looks like a small pile of hair. You will be shocked at how well it will burn, and it cost almost nothing.

steven andrews

Settler
Mar 27, 2004
Jersey
Hi Guys

This might seem a little basic, but I'm struggling to light a fire in a pine forest. The tools I have are a firesteel and a knife. I've got dead dried pine needles, a few dried leaves and a lot of sausages to cook. Any tips on getting a fire started?

Please don't think you might be talking down to me, I won't take it personally and if I learn from it, no harm done.

Bic lighters are effective and available for a few pence. Why not take one?

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I take my tinder bag with some dried birch bark, works after a few good strikes from a firestick, However if you are trying to light a fire with just what you have at that time it really is a skill worth practicing and I have found it very diificult in the past especially when things are damp, so you are not alone :) I'll be intrested to see how you overcome this. Good luck

Last edited:

Lake

Jun 7, 2009
I you are in pine forest, look for fatwood. It's dead wood impregnated with resin. Smells like turpentine and it burns very well, even in wet conditions. You can find it in dead limbs at the bottom, very close to the trunk. Fatwood scrapings will catch a spark from a ferro rod very easily.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE