Firekit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

So... What's in your fire/tinderkit then? :pack: Personally I have a magnifying glass, small pack of waterproof matches, butane lighter (which is usually in the shirt pocket), charcloth, firesteel, down from either thistle or cattail and one big piece of charred tinder fungus. :wink: :biggthump

The charred tinder fungus burns a very long time, something near the time of a small hexamine block. :shock: You can also break small pieces off and use them to dry for example birch bark. :wink: Everybody should try this. :biggthump

The matches........ well, i'm a bit nostalgic. :roll: :wink:

The downs....... they're exellent.

myakka

Tenderfoot
Sep 12, 2004
Colorado
www.freewebs.com
I love to pratice making and building fires, I try to use as many different methods possible to create it. Here is a few of my fire making tools, Flint and Steel, Strike Any-Where Matches, Glass Lens, Lighter, FireSteel, Boy Scout Hot Spark, Spindle & Fireboard From my Bow & Drill set and various forms of tinder, Junipter Bark bundle,Trioxane Compressed Fuel, and WetFire.

But my favorite way to make a fire is to use the back spine of my Linger Bushcraft knife and scrape a Army model FireSteel. I scrape the sparks into a pile of Fatwood and I can usually start a blazing fire with in two strikes.

FireTools28307.jpg

ScottC

Banned
May 2, 2004
uk
I have mine in a tobacco tin that goes in the front pocket of my PLCE pack, It contains: flint and an old file, char cloth, swan vesta matches, couple of tindercard firelighters, small bundle of cattail down and a firesteel. I sometimes carry a map magnifying glass in the hood pocket. I also have a bag of birch bark peelings and scrapped up red cedar wood in a small bag in the side pouch.

I also carry a firesteel on my person, the one in the tin is a back up one.

Nightfall

Forager
Sep 2, 2004
Nothren Califorina
Mine is made up of a mag/flint striker, magnifying glass, and charcloth in a small tin. These I carry in small leather pouches on a thong that I loop through my belt.Also in my pack I have p.j. cotton balls in a flim can,and a bag of finely shreaded jute for tinder.Everone that has been talking about wetfire tinder has really perked my instrest in it. I ordered some the other day.Also another good tinder is to take a cardboard egg carton, put dryer lint, wood shavings and whatever that burns into the cups.Then seal the top with melted wax.These have burned 5 to 10 minutes for me.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I don't tend to carry all my fire making kit in one pouch, it gets spread out. Laquared matches in my mess kit, traditional flint & steel + charcloth etc in a small leather pouch, fero rod around my neck, and a lighter in my pocket...... oooo and there is a magnifying glass in my first aid kit.... same for tinder...

:)
Ed

Chopper

Native
Sep 24, 2003
Kent.
This is the kit that I carry on my knife
15632.jpg

We have a fire steel, maya wood, wet fire tinder, hexi block, rubber tyre strips, some ready made maya shavings, six life boat matches, a magnifying glass and the latest addition is a mediun grade diamond sharpening card.

I also carry a tin containing extra wet fire tinder, maya wood and cotton wool for cheating, there is also a flint, steel and charcloth in this tin now.
15644.jpg

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
i carry two kits 1 has flint and steel in it with charcloth cotton wool some burch bark all nice and neat in a small pellet tin which also can be used to make small amounts of charcloth and the 2nd is in a nice leather pouch which has a firesteel some burch bark wet tinder block cotton wool box of none safety matches some shreded inertube and anything else i can find that will burn for tinder

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
mine = one box of matches, one fire steal.. on "king alfreds cake" when avalible.. and what ever other tinder i come acroos offten including clematis/honeysuccle barke, thistle down etc...

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
I carry a lighter in my pocket, a Victorinox made German folding utility knife and swedish fire steel on my belt. In another pocket, got a Boy Scouts Hotspark steel and compass match tube full of Spark-lite tinder quartered, giving me enough tinder for 16 fires.

When I add one of my rucks or shoulder bags, I add a Spark-lite firestarting kit w/tinder, an adjustable lighter, PitchWitch tinder, Esbit fuel tabs and whatever natural tinder I pack along to play with while out.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
1 x Jet flame lighter thingy... the cheap one
1 x A pack of cigars
1 x Army steel

Three items that cover most situations. Cigars, as well as being most relaxing, also make excellent tinder.

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE