18th Century Long Hunter Woodsman kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Great post mate, thanks for sharing

What do you use as insulation under the blanket?
What do you wear?

Do your trips involve people with similar kit or do they have more modern stuff? How do you find it compares?

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
Excellent write up. Thank you for posting.
Do you go to particular places or do particular things to enhance the period feel of a trip?

Z

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Somewhere ive a book that mentions winter kit out for rogers rangers which whilst not quite the same time frame might have some ideas for you to work with.
Want me t have a root around?

would be interested too :D

ALos I'd do a bit of research around historical trekking seems to be the phrase used by the reenactors alot and there are some great sites out there for inspiration
one of my favourite beingwoodsrunnersdiary.blogspot.com

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Good stuff! Makes you realise what a hard life these guys would have had. Presumably they would also have had to carry a musket, powder, shot etc as well as all their trapping kit, so they would have been pretty well laden.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
No problem Lee I'll send it to you too.

That blog is a good un enjoy reading it when I get chance.

Thanks that would be great

the chap also has a youtube channel if I can remember his name I'll add it - used to be a regular poster on here too at one point

Something I always come away with from doing more traditional/old school kit is how much more effort is required
It adds to the fun but I dont think i would of wanted to do it for my entire life.
Mind you I have the advantage of knowing the 21st century comforts.....

It is a very romantic idea but your right in reality it was a tough and often short life

Nohoval_Turrets

Sep 28, 2004
Ireland
Great post! Does the 18th century theme extend to clothes too? I have an image of you in powdered wig - I know that's not right, but do you go for all-natural fibres and so forth? Do you trek long distances with this gear?

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Well it shames me to see someone actually using 18th century style kit as I've been building up a set for years now and never actually used it all together. I've got rather wrapped up with the material culture/research/making stuff aspect of it. I've just recieved a couple of wool felt hat blanks from Parkins in Oldham (cost about 8 quid each) to make a wide brimmed hat for practical use and a tricorn to ponce about in. I need to turn myself a round low dome hat block once I have worked out what diameter a 25 inch circumferance head is (luckily they only introduced oval blocks in the 19th century).

I'm also waiting on a piece of 3/4" veg tan strap from Hostile Hides over in Bolton to finish a bedroll strap/cloak carrier. Once again my maths let me down and I ordered 2 foot shy of what i needed last time. Being a masochist I made the 3 buckles I needed from a 1/8th thick brass hinge.

If TheNative dont mind I'll put up some pics of what I have made or other wise aquired when I get home.

ATB

Tom

cowboy

Banned
May 3, 2010
The shire
Great write up dude!! Its good to see some diversity with what people use kit wise on the forum!! Looking forward to our traditional (esk) camp coming up now!!! :D

Ps its just reminded me seeing your haversack, would it be cool if i pinched it one day this week to get a template still? I might have to borrow your hawk too :rolleyes: Iv been asked to make two trail hawk sheath and i cant for the life of me find the templates for the ones i made for you! :confused:

rg598

Native
Very nice set up. Good way to recreate a lot of the traditional tools and items with more available replacements.

As far as winter use, longhunters actually carried good amounts of gear. They typically went into the woods with three horses per man to carry the gear to a base camp. They also had cabins set up in certain locations. While they did spend a lot of time on foot, traveling long distances, it wasn't that simple. For a later perspective from a backwoods trapper, which still utilizes much of the same equipment, check out Woodcraft by EH Kreps: http://woodtrekker.blogspot.com/2011/05/woodcraft-by-eh-kreps.html In his book he deals a lot with winter travel and set up.

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
Well it shames me to see someone actually using 18th century style kit as I've been building up a set for years now and never actually used it all together. I've got rather wrapped up with the material culture/research/making stuff aspect of it. I've just recieved a couple of wool felt hat blanks from Parkins in Oldham (cost about 8 quid each) to make a wide brimmed hat for practical use and a tricorn to ponce about in. I need to turn myself a round low dome hat block once I have worked out what diameter a 25 inch circumferance head is (luckily they only introduced oval blocks in the 19th century).

I'm also waiting on a piece of 3/4" veg tan strap from Hostile Hides over in Bolton to finish a bedroll strap/cloak carrier. Once again my maths let me down and I ordered 2 foot shy of what i needed last time. Being a masochist I made the 3 buckles I needed from a 1/8th thick brass hinge.

If TheNative dont mind I'll put up some pics of what I have made or other wise aquired when I get home.

ATB

Tom

Go for it dude! :)

TheNative

Tenderfoot
Feb 24, 2013
The Frontier
www.youtube.com
Great post mate, thanks for sharing

What do you use as insulation under the blanket?
What do you wear?

Do your trips involve people with similar kit or do they have more modern stuff? How do you find it compares?

For insulation I find a roll matt made from bracken works very well! I have a few friends who also share the same style and period kit as me and as it happens we are planning a 3 or 4 night trip into the forest with this kit. Will be like the Daniel Boone challenge

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE