Firebow Studies & Experiments

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Since the fire bow has become an area of rather intense study lately I thought I'd make a good portable bow that I could take along with me that took up little room and was little trouble to carry. I wanted one I could carry like...

well,like this...

IMG_1997.jpg

For the most part of making the bow and spindle and gathering the tinder the Soldier Knife got a good workout...man I love this thing. The bow is made from a Honeysuckle tree branch, and even the bark works well mixed with some Cedar bark in a tinder nest.

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1906.jpg

Having been busy for a while, once I started whittling on the bow last night I just drifted off and sort of forgot about the camera and just relaxed for a while. I had been talking to my primitive skills mentor, Rick (Magnussen), about my experiences and results with the fire bow and he had made some suggestions. So making my first attempts at following his advice... When I got through whittling and fiddling it, the new experimental spindle, and the two stick fire board looked like this. The bearing block is made from a piece of Poplar 1x2 I robbed off an old desk. I used the RC-4 to whittle it into a more comfortable shape and to bore out the hole for the spindle. I really love this little knife too.

IMG_1972.jpg

I only got these pics because a friend stopped by while I was finishing the spindle and asked what I was up to. One thing led to another and he ended up getting a fire starting lesson, hence the house shoes. The deal was that he had to take pics for me to study.

The experimental spindle was a bit interesting at first but worked as advertised.

IMG_1973.jpg

IMG_1977.jpg

I've still yet to get two coals with the two stick method. I may be putting a lean on the spindle in the final spins or something I don't know, but all three times it has been the side furthest away from me that coaled.

IMG_1978.jpg

Even still, it has so far always been enough to get the fire started.

IMG_1980.jpg

IMG_1981.jpg

IMG_1982.jpg

Sorry the pics aren't so great...Rick (not Magnussen) sometimes got caught up watching and forgot to push the button. But...now that he knows what to expect and us having talked about it in depth and all I think he'll do better on the next one.

Last edited:

Alessio

Mar 3, 2010
Swansea, Wales
Nice work, I like the tutorial style thing =]

I tried lighting a fire with the three stick method. Basically the same setup but minus the bow. It took a while and I was a little tired at the end, but it was so worth it =]

Why did you put that spike at the end of your... spindle is it called? Y'know, then thing that was spinning >.< Sorry, I'm pretty inept, i just call them sticks XD

:You_Rock_

Nice work, I like the tutorial style thing =]

I tried lighting a fire with the three stick method. Basically the same setup but minus the bow. It took a while and I was a little tired at the end, but it was so worth it =]

Why did you put that spike at the end of your... spindle is it called? Y'know, then thing that was spinning >.< Sorry, I'm pretty inept, i just call them sticks XD

:You_Rock_

Thanks!

Eh, I'm working my way to the hand drill lol.

The little spike on the spindle is to stabilize it while stating the socket on the hearth board. The little spike burns it's way in and keeps the spindle in place. Also helps dry the board and create dust for the coal.

Great thread Brian, thanks for sharing buddy

Thanks Shewie, glad you liked the post. I have more experiments going on, there should be more to add to it later :)

Trackerman

Forager
Apr 3, 2008
Sweden
Mistwalker! Now this post I really appreciate, thanks a lot for sharing! There was a few tips I will use in my quest for making fire with firebow. (I have pains in my both elbows so this is not easy for me)

Mistwalker! Now this post I really appreciate, thanks a lot for sharing! There was a few tips I will use in my quest for making fire with firebow. (I have pains in my both elbows so this is not easy for me)

Thanks, I do have to say that I find the standard flat hearth a lot easier to get a coal with, but I like this method because the coal is formed on top not on the side. That's the reason for the new hearth idea I experimented with today.

Thanks Brian, i enjoy all your threads, i thought the pics were great as well .

Excellent thread. Never tried the two stick hearth method before

Thanks guys, glad you enjoyed the posted. I have another one to post after today's experiment, I'll post it later on.

Alessio

Mar 3, 2010
Swansea, Wales
Ah, i see. Come to think of it I did have some problems with my... spindle (?o_O? lol) slipping off the end of the two twigs. The string helped, but it ignited towards the end of it hehehe... Still, thanks for the tip =]

Wait... do you reckon it would work if I just whittled the end of my spindle to a sort of a blunt point?

Ah, i see. Come to think of it I did have some problems with my... spindle (?o_O? lol) slipping off the end of the two twigs. The string helped, but it ignited towards the end of it hehehe... Still, thanks for the tip =]

Wait... do you reckon it would work if I just whittled the end of my spindle to a sort of a blunt point?

That's pretty much how I did it the first time, and then just cut a couple of notches in the hearth sticks to hold the spindle in place while I burned it in. The next spindle I experiment with for this will be a bit different.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE