Fire steels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Having just received a quality fire steel from Jason_01, and managing to make fire with it! (After a somewhat shaky start,

I was wondering if it is possible to make one of my own from 01 steel?

(Sorry if I have missed a tutorial or info on my searches!)

leon-1

Hi mate, from what I understand there should be no problem making your own from O1 tool steel, the main requirement is high carbon content.

Other than that it is basically a hardened piece of steel bent in a horse shoe shape. I know that making them from old files is quite a popular choice of materials (an old round file would probably be quite good).:)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Good thinking batman!

How hot will it need to be to bent/forge!?!?!

(EDIT: Reading that back, It was nor ment to be as sarcastic as it sounded)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
As always sounds simple!!!

Do I need to quench it or let it cool slowly (After the shaping is done)

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Thanks all,

will give this a go and see what happens!

If it is not a complete failure

I will post some pics (For you to laugh at) :D

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Some time ago I tried making a firesteel - dismal failure by comparison with one that I bought from the states which sparks on every strike. From my blackpowder shooting days ( the times when englishmen were trusted ) i remember that the way to get a frizzen in a flintlock rifle to shower sparks was to heat it up to cherry red and smother it in case hardening powder. The harder the steel the better the sparks

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
nickg said:
Some time ago I tried making a firesteel - dismal failure by comparison with one that I bought from the states which sparks on every strike. From my blackpowder shooting days ( the times when englishmen were trusted ) i remember that the way to get a frizzen in a flintlock rifle to shower sparks was to heat it up to cherry red and smother it in case hardening powder. The harder the steel the better the sparks

By a chance co-incidence :rolleyes: my b(r)other left a tub of casenite case hardening powder in my workshop last week having just hardened a friends frizzen. He said, and I quote, "You'll use that.", and I thought, fascetiously, "Aye, and that'll be right!" and lo, and behold :eek: .....it's good stuff after all! :D :cool:

Cheers,
Toddy

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
nickg said:

:eek: EEEP!!!!!!! :eek:

;) Thanks for the words of confidence!! (LOL) ;)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
Well, Casenite is much easier than putting the steel in a tube or box, covering it with carbonaceous material and sealing it; then keeping the box at red heat for a few days...

'Orrible stuff, however. The older case-hardening compounds were cyanide-based; Casenite is a bit safer.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Sorry pignut - didnt mean to put you off. I am NOT the worlds greatest metalworker -- but my Dad once told me this - theres no teacher like experience! God how many times has he been proved right

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
nickg said:
Sorry pignut - didnt mean to put you off. I am NOT the worlds greatest metalworker -- but my Dad once told me this - theres no teacher like experience! God how many times has he been proved right

No worries! only messing!

Will keep you posted on my attempt!

wentworth

Settler
Aug 16, 2004
Australia
Hi Pignut,
I've tried to contact Jason about ordering a firesteel but have had no responses. Could I ask if you ordered through his site?
They are so beautiful I would love one!

Pignut

Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
wentworth said:
Hi Pignut,
I've tried to contact Jason about ordering a firesteel but have had no responses. Could I ask if you ordered through his site?

I PM'd him through British blades and sorted the order out that way,

You wont be disapointed!! they are both beautiful and functional!

jason01

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 24, 2003
wentworth said:
Hi Pignut,

Hi Wentworth

I havent received any emails from you, not sure whats up with the email link on my site, Ive just tried it and it seems to be working but I'll look into it. You can PM me here or on British Blades or email to jason@jasonbhall.freeserve.co.uk if you want a steel.

Best regards

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
I think you would like the business side of the striker as hard as possible, as that makes for more sparks.

But this is not good for the handle side, as the steel is very brittle when quenched (before annealing).

There's a trick to it, however.

After finishing the shape of the thing and maybe filing, polishing a bit, pop it in the fire again, getting the whole mass up to a brightish cherry red (I go a little higher, just before any hints of orange colour).

Hold it there for about 30 secs.

If your tongs are long enough, hold the curly ends in the jaws, to protect them from overheating.

Using the same grip, dip the striking face of the striker into water and hold it there (swirling it around a bit for faster cooling) until there's no more red to be seen on the striker.

Now dunk it!

Polish and test with a sharp flint.

Always works for me.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE