Fire Roll technique

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
ruediger nehberg describes this method in his books, using cotton wool and (cigarette)ashes-- I daresay other cotton wool-- like natural materials might work, too...... . and ashes can be collected from a campfire (you need fire to create charcloth, too)

maybe not as a regular method but would be good to know this as a backup........

Grey Owl

Tenderfoot
Nov 26, 2006
Canada
voyagetothebay.cauc.ca
It is very like other fire starting methods, mostly parlor tricks and stunts. Once you know any primitive method, matches and lighters become pretty attractive. On the other hand, they build ones confidence and improve your skills regardless of the methods you choose in the end.

However, I have been experimenting with splitting boards out and using natural materials. So far I have had success with shredded inner bark of Balsam Poplar and wood ash. It works with natural materials, certainly more prep with the bark, but it works.

Chekmate

Jan 24, 2016
Canada
I've seen the fire roll before but always with milled lumber and in a controlled environment. I thought neat trick, but no practical application. After watching Wayne's video doing it in the bush. Now I want to learn this skill.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

May 5, 2016
US
I've seen the fire roll before but always with milled lumber and in a controlled environment. I thought neat trick, but no practical application. After watching Wayne's video doing it in the bush. Now I want to learn this skill.

Keep Your Tinder Dry
Chekmate

Not sure who's videos you've been watching but boggycreekbeast has been doing this in the field with all natural material for a few years now.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
That's looks like another worthwhile technique for lighting a fire. Yes, you may need two flat surfaces for the rolling/ember creation but that's not totally impossible. An interesting addition - many thanks for posting.

May 5, 2016
US
Cool - never seen this before. Seems like a lot less effort than other friction methods if you can find suitable materials :)

Less effort definitely. Tim (boggycreekbeast) says this is a complement to other methods. He still practices other methods but states this is by far the easiest. I have seen him make embers in under 1 second. Although he shuns the notion of speed he has video's to back this up. He likes to practice in nature and routinely uses rolling surfaces that require no preparation i.e. Tree Bark, Stones or combinations of those two. Stones: [video=youtube;RRrph4aK0Bw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRrph4aK0Bw[/video]
Tree Bark : [video=youtube;Oruoqsqa0lk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oruoqsqa0lk[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE