Soaking wet bow drill challenge

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Hi all,

So thought I'd share an experience I had recently at the Royal Norfolk show, where I was helping Dave Watson from woodland survival crafts do friction firefighting demos. There was another local guy called martin who was there to help demo too. We did bow drill and hand drill, and I did a few bamboo fire saw demos too, but maybe my technique isn't that good, I find it exhausting!
Over the two days I got through two base boards with two or three embers per hole. Just shows how often we were doing it! I learned a LOT from both dave and Martin and really refined my bow drill technique and learned the floating hand method on the hand drill.

On the first day it started raining heavily just after lunch. We had a lot of people saying 'Ha bet you can't start a fire now!' Our main response was 'if your willing to wait, I'll show you'. The rain didn't stop the fires, and if anything was more impressive, as everybody thought we would stop!
Anyway after 5 or 6 successful demos I decided to really challenge myself. It was one thing to get an ember with slightly damp materials...and entirely different with soaking wet and muddy. So I left one of my sets in the rain for about two hours just in the mud with rain coming down directly onto the top of the board and drill.
After it was satisfactorily sodden I shook the rain off and got to work. I knew I needed to dry the wood out first by drilling with very little pressure, so away I went, nice smooth action light pressure. After a few minutes, I started to add pressure little by little. Whisky Smoke was already rising and some light dust forming, so I pushed on, gradually adding more pressure, keeping the same slow steady rhythm. After about 5 minutes of this I figured it was time to go full pressure, and in about 1 minute of steady action I had my ember!
As you can see by the picture below, the ember hadn't formed in quite the expected place, but I think it's because my dust pile got a few direct drips off my shoulder in the process, and where the ember formed was more under my body which protected it more. I could have improved the dust collection by widening my V cut into the base board.
I simply piled the dust onto my glowing section to get it going nicely, before moving it to the damp grass, which took after a few minutes of long blows.

I CHALLENGE YOU!!! To get your kit wet and give it a go! It's very rewarding!
image_zpstzcesfwr.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

judojim

Nov 8, 2012
East Yorks
Well done, very impressive. I recently challenged myself to start a bow drill fire with willow i found on a dewy morning. That was rewarding.
I will now try for fire with a damp set,
ps have you had any luck with the fire plow?

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
Nice job! I challenge myself by searching for materials on my morning runs. I've learned to quickly identify good and bad materials that way. Sometimes I use green hazelwands, freshly gathered and processed. They also need a warming up fase of about 10-30 minutes before they form a good ember. Getting out of the comfortzone once in a while makes these things rewarding indeed. By the way, are your arms still the same size? :D

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
Thanks guys :)
Well since doing my IOL bushcraft practitioner with Dave, and attending some volunteer helping out weekends, he has Helped me to refine my technique. It's not really that tiring at all with a nice steady pace, but I find a good bearing block is key! My favourites are a set of measuring spoons I got off amazon for 3.99. Though I still get the usual merry berry jokes when I show other people!

Judojim I haven't ever tried the fire plough but it is next on my list! That and the fire thong, but I think I'll tackle the plough first!

Ruud you mean drill for 10-30 mins to drive out the moisture in the green wood? Now green wood bow drill would be a REAL challenge!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE