Fire pistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

Jamie

Just wondering if anyone knows of anywhere selling fire pistons?

TheViking

Native
Jun 3, 2004
Hi...

A question!
Does a fire piston last forever? And am I certain that it will light a fire for me every time?? :roll: :wink:

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
I've made them from bamboo.... I posted about it some time last year when I first joined :yikes:.... do a search, it'll come up in the archives.

:)
Ed

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
same wasy some diesel engines work. As the air is compressed it heats up to the point where it will ignite the fuel in the cylinder in this case your tinder, in the case of a car the diesel

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
So when you start your car your setting the petrol alight? :shock:

How do you then get the tinder out of the firepiston?

Cheers.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
It works by compression. When things are compressed quickly, they heat up..... in a fire piston, the air heats up to the point it can ignite char cloth.

:)
Ed

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Is it the same as when a bike tyre pump heats up after a while? :?:
Amazing that someone found out about it really.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Amazing that someone found out about it really.
Anthropologist believe that it was discovered by Indonesian (or the Philippino depending on who you talk to) jungle hunters while ramming a wooden rod down a piece of bamboo to hollow it out and make a blow pipe..... and the pith ignited.... I've seen them do this but never saw the pith ignite :-?

Ed

Hello Boys. Glad to see you are keeping the fire piston interest up over there. I would be happy to answer any questions that may arise. Once one discovers the use of natural tinders in the fire piston ( charcloth is not natural ) a completely new perspective on its usefulness is gained.

Best Regards,

Jeff

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE