Fire pistons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
You can post in the photo gallery or as an attachment if you don't have a URL for an image that's uploaded elsewhere.

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
Here is the Bushmaster firepiston:
2bushmaster_wood.jpg

Impressive bit of kit!

Andy - I have two answers.

( 1 ) Nothing quite lasts forever

( 2 ) With normal care and use, the only part of the fire piston to sustain significant wear is the gasket. Eventually, and after a great many lights, the gasket's sealing ability will be reduced. When this happens the gasket is replaced (it takes me about 5 minutes or less to re-wrap a gasket ) and original, as new performance is restored.

Cheers,

Jeff

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Jeff, I looked at your site and did not find the BushMaster. Is it new? Does the piston have a tinder cavity?

Looks very good. I have had one on my "need" list for a long time....that BushMaster seems to be moving the item closer to the top.

Thanks

Sticking Adi's image over here again to just look at it..... :super:

2bushmaster_wood.jpg

I have not been able to make modifications to the website in several months due to a software change made by my web host. I am therefore establishing a new website with a new host which will include the Bushmaster in both wood and horn. A hollow tinder well in the piston handle is an available option. In actual practice I find this feature serves as well or better for lube as it does for tinder. Another development that will be offered on the new site is a little device I have not yet found a name for. Its a collar / spacer that fits between the piston and cylinder when the piston is inserted and it serves two purposes. It is grooved around its circumference to permit attachment of a cord and it also eliminates the need to bleed out the compressed air when seating the piston after use.

Jeff

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
Here is an image of the collar device from Jeff.

FirepistonCollar.jpg

It is an extra piece that is between the piston and the chamber. In Jeff's words:

The collar does not vent. It allows the piston to seat on something prior to it encountering high compression force.

Neat idea. I am going to have to get one.

I think that this image has a tinder capsule shown also. Nice.

masongary44

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 6, 2004
Leeds, England
I have managed to find a UK stockist of Warrior and Hunter fire pistons that appear to have some in stock...

Before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me what the differnce is between the warrior and the hunter, as on the website they both look the same ???

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Me too! hint hint to HWMBO! (Darn wish there was a fluttering eyelashes smilie!) :-D

T

Temper

Guys, this is my first post here but I have a few over at Bladeforums. I have a Jeff Wagner Firepiston and, like most of you, fell in love with it the first time I used it. I am having a hard time finding alternative tinder though, but struck upon an idea for using charcloth AND being able to extract it without using a pin or have it fall apart. I got an ember and a fire with this method in under 30 seconds.

Head over to www.bladeforums.com and the training section then Wilderness and Survival.

Warm regards

Temper

masongary44 said:
I have managed to find a UK stockist of Warrior and Hunter fire pistons that appear to have some in stock...

Before I take the plunge, can anyone tell me what the differnce is between the warrior and the hunter, as on the website they both look the same ???

The only difference between the two models is the Hunter has a plain base and base of the Warrior has been drilled through and it is supplied with a leather neck cord.

Regards,
Jeff

Temper said:
Guys, this is my first post here but I have a few over at Bladeforums. I have a Jeff Wagner Firepiston and, like most of you, fell in love with it the first time I used it. I am having a hard time finding alternative tinder though, but struck upon an idea for using charcloth AND being able to extract it without using a pin or have it fall apart. I got an ember and a fire with this method in under 30 seconds.

Head over to www.bladeforums.com and the training section then Wilderness and Survival.

Warm regards

Temper
I was noticing your location. While I did not have an opportunity to explore very far off the beaten path ( read subway ) for tinders when I visited in May and July, I did notice that Cedars appear to be abundant along the highway from Narita and should provide a great supply for fiber.

Challenger

Apr 28, 2004
Halling, Kent
Jeff

I have been using a warrior fire piston for last 18 months. What lubricant do you recommend for the gasket, at the present time I use vaseline?

It is an excellent piece of kit, I have only used char cloth so far, but will now try to use some of the other tinders mentioned on this thread.

Challenger

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE