Fire or Fuel

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Here'a curious question:

When you're out in the bush, what is your preferred cooking method? Fire or a stove?

Mind you, I'm referring to ideal conditions. We've all spent time in areas where campfires are banned. But if you had the choice, which would you choose?

Adam

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Ideal conditions ...
Well, if you put it like that, it really isn't a choice (for me): a proper campfire anytime :notworthy
Same as to ask you if you like el cheapo SAK's over a real Victorinox / Wenger or not - to use an analogy, or being retoric ... ;)

:D :bye:

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
it depends on the situation ...

In the Sahara you take dry camel dung, for melting snow in the Antarctic I´d use gasoline (petrol)....
On most of my trips I´m happy with an alc. stove (Brasslite, Trangia, Caldera Cone ...) and a 1pt. Kelly Kettle. For the worst case I carry some dehydrated emergency no-idea-whats-the -taste stuff, for standard meals I prefere real meals. If time permits I´d like to have fresh bread, not homemade - campmade.
And yes, I do carry a small Italian 2cup moka maker (Bialetti mini express). A small st/st plate (with lots of holes drilled in it) holds it in position in my T27 (a comercially made similiar device is available now - no, I didn´t design it, it´s just pure coincidence)

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
If it's a purely a matter of personal choice I'd have to say that I'd rather do all my cooking and brew-making on a fire, everytime. Unfortunately, and as we all know, there are just so many places that we like to escape to for a bimble that activities such as open fire-lighting are simply "No-Go". As a result of this, most of my quick stops for a brew-up on a day out involve the Kelly Kettle and most cooking is done on the Trangia.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Longstrider,

What you've just said is exactly the problem in BC. We have a campfire ban here just about every summer. This means than when my buddy Alex and I get together to go bushcrafting, we can't practice much in the way of firecraft and end up doing our cooking on my Trangia. Kindof takes away from the whole experience, I think.

Such is life.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Good question this. I am tempted to say fire every time, and that is what I would prefer. However we need to be practical. At this time of year in Scotland when its cold and damp it is usually necessary to go with a small stove. If I had that canoe and room for more stuff I would take my new woodburning stove from the group buy and use that. In other words it depends where I am, the time of year and what I am doing :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I carry a small amount of fuel with me for places that I just can't find any fuel but usually I prefer a proper fire or a small hobo stove.

Small-Camp.jpg

This one is running off pine cones.

dommyracer

Native
May 26, 2006
London
Its nice to have a fire. As well as for cooking, it almost gives you a sense of place, almost creating a home.

If there are no restrictions, it would be fire every time.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I would use a small fuel stove for an initial brew purely because its quicker but then I would keep a billy can of water over the fire so I have hot water when I want it. But I certainly love cooking on an open fire the food just seems to taste better!:)

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Wayland said:
I carry a small amount of fuel with me for places that I just can't find any fuel but usually I prefer a proper fire or a small hobo stove.

Small-Camp.jpg

This one is running off pine cones.

I have said it before, but I will say it again anyway - That is a great idea!!:D

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Red man makes very small fire and sits close to the fire to get warm
White man makes big fire and gets warm by running for firewood

:rolleyes: ;)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
dommyracer said:
Its nice to have a fire. As well as for cooking, it almost gives you a sense of place, almost creating a home.

If there are no restrictions, it would be fire every time.

I couldn't agree more. It's really a shame that in the summer season, there's always a campfire ban going on here.

Adam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE