Finishing handle on butter knife...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Given that I'm a rank amateur at any sort of woodwork, as the attached photo shows, I'd appreciate some advice on how to finish up the handle. I want it to keep it's very minimalist, comfortable look and feel - but as it stands I'm not quite happy with the butt-end of the handle..

Would welcome any thoughts / (constructive) comments... :)

2181808174_7a1c8f7837_b.jpg

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I am struggling to see the end of the photo is too big.

If you trying to get a curved end to it which I presume you are lots of little cuts will or using the knife as a scraper. Alternatively square the end off and chamfer it to make it look even all round is how I've told Scouts how to do this.
Difficult to explain but maybe robin and Nicola will be more help.

It looks servicible to me. What type of wood is it and was it green when you carved it. Some stringy woods like certain willow and alder split along the grain easily and can be more difficult than other woods to work I have found. Hawthorn Birch and Sycamore are nice to work.

Try another and see the advances coming I am sure.

Alf

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thanks..

Not sure of the type of wood to be honest - I took it from a half-fallen standing dead tree, with nothing really to identify it for someone inexperienced like myself.. It looked to have been dead for a while though, so it's not green, though I'm sure it's dried out a little since I got it..

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Hazel would be perfect for a form like that you could get 2 knife's from out 1 small stick thus avoiding the pith centre. It carves real nice, even, cheesey texture, looks well when its dries (sort of like ivory) To cut cross grain (which is what you are doing on this handle end) with any woodwork tool saw/chisle/plane/axe/knife etc they MUST be real sharp to get clean cuts that dont tear out wood fibres and leave small holes. To do the end of that knife handle I'd do lots of little slicing cut's, gradually increasing the andle of entry until by the time I'm slicing at the centre of the "dome" I'm at 90 degree's to the axis of the knife. Lots of tiny cuts. If you try to take big cuts the knife will dig in possibly if its blunt and it could be a messy scenario.
I always think a butter knife should have a blade that is more or less parallell, with a slight curve along it, with a semi circular end to it, its nigh on impossible to get butter out the pot and spread it with these modern sloyd type designer pointed "eating knife's" with a sharpish point to them

DoctorSpoon

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 24, 2007
Peak District
www.robin-wood.co.uk
These spatula handles would work on a knife (these are our standard starter project on courses):

spatulas1.jpg

spatula7.jpg

as well as looking good the deliberate facets give you a good grip if you're out in the woods and your hands are cold and or slippery!

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
Thanks for the hints - and resizing it for me.. I have a widescreen monitor, so it looked fine when I posted it.. :(

I'll have a go at the handle tonight - finding it very therapeutic, considering how mental work is at the moment...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE