Finding North

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The Vikings used a method called a bearing dial.

First you need a fixed height gnomen on a disk. Mark off a point on the edge (any point will do for now) place it on a level surface in the sun with the mark pointing at a fixed object (this is to make sure all your readings are taken without moving the dial).

Now as the sun rises the sun will cast a long shadow roughly westwards. When the lenght of the shadow is short enough that it's point just touches the edge of the dial make a mark at that point. As the day proceeds, the shadow will get shorter and pass the gnomen before starting to get longer again. eventually it will drop of the edge on the eastern side of the dial.

All through this process you are going to mark the point of the shadow's position, say every 30 minutes or so. The western and eastern points are very important, make sure you get them both. You should now be able to joint the dots to make a continuous, curved line from east to west.

The north south line will now be at right angles to an imaginary straight line between the east and west edge marks. These points can now be marked on the dial. All other points can now be marked, geometricly from north / south.

That is how it is made, so how does it work.

Firstly it will only work at aproximately the same latitude and time of year that it was made. So short term use really.

Take the dial, hold it level and rotate it until the length of the shadow is just the right length to touch the curved line. It will of course touch in one of two places so you need to know if it is morning or afternoon. in the morning use the westerly side of the dial and pm. use the easterly side.

When the shadow tip touches the line on the correct side of the dial, all points of the compass should now line up perfectly.

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
...use a magnetic compass. Somebody had to say it.

Also, something about moss being on a particular side of a tree and ant hills facing south, although I expect this isn't very reliable. Oh, and rangerbob's tip about tips of conifers always pointing roughly north.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Be warned - growth direction of vegetation may indicate the direction of the prevailing wind, rather than the direction of the sun. Which is still a darned handy thing to know when you're setting up camp...

As for the old moss on the north sides of trees trick, I'm not entirely convinced - unless the tree in question is completely isolated, I suspect that the growth of moss will depend more on its surroundings than its orientation. I know I've looked at trees to try and verify that moss grows on the north side, without success...

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
The moon -

Draw a line between the two points of the less than full moon. The line is pointing in a N/S direction across the sky - at right angles to the plane of the ecliptic. So technically it it pointing to a point above the arctic circle.

The planets/ sun and moon -

Same idea as the moon. If you have at least 2 of the planets, sun, moon in view then they are all in the plane of the ecliptic, so a line a right angles to this plane is north pointing.

Television aerials! -

If you know where your local television transmitter is relative to north, then the aerials on the houses point to the transmitter and thus reveal north (thanks to my not so bushcrafty brother who is into radios)

The prevailing wind:-

That is SW and in coastal areas gives clear marks of this in the direction of growth of trees and bushes.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
My local pub is north and I have never got lost finding it, though for some reason I sometimes have a bit of trouble with south...............Jon

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I quite often use my watch and the sun to point out north and south to some of my customers who wonder where north is. For those that don't know....Point the hour hand at the sun, half the distance from the hour hand and 12 o clock is south.
It has taken me about 20 mins to write this, the telly is good tonight..........Jon

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Jon and all,
If you are not aware, your watch has to be set to GMT for accuracy, but a general idea can be gained with BST.

Stovie - great site, I'll get amongst that later.

ATB

Ogri the trog

im never without my watch.. ;)
th_IMAG1590.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE