Finding CPM3V for a custom blade?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Hi BushcraftUK!

Do any of you knifeguys know where I can find a slab of CPM3V in a size of approx 350x40x5 mm? It will be used for a custom knife project :)

Regards

BStone

Jan 7, 2010
Denmark
Long story short, I've found myself a custom maker, that I'm going to have make me a knife. I've read tonnes on different kinds of steel, and I'm pretty much settled on CMP3V as far as the steel goes.

If you have any other suggestions, that are more accessible in Europe and will make just as nice a knife, please let me know.

Regards

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
As i said, i like Elmax and it is made in Europe. Elmax is stainless, but very tough.... 3v is not a stainless, but also tough.

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
CPM 3V is terrible
very very hard to sharpen on conventional stones and chips at low angles
A lot of people will be unable to do the heat treatment on super steels at home....

man I just cannot understand why people just won't settle with simple time and quality proven old school steels like o1, 5160 and other carbon steels....

there is nuthing Bushcraft about supersteels made in ulta technical settings with machines which cost a fortune...

just my opinion, so never mind

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Nothing bushy about any steel to be honest, unless of course you collected the ore yourself, produced some carbon and made it yourself using natural resources :) But as no one does, and carbon steels are also made in a foundry somewhere using modern techniques......I guess it makes no difference.

CPM 3V is terrible
very very hard to sharpen on conventional stones and chips at low angles
A lot of people will be unable to do the heat treatment on super steels at home....

man I just cannot understand why people just won't settle with simple time and quality proven old school steels like o1, 5160 and other carbon steels....

there is nuthing Bushcraft about supersteels made in ulta technical settings with machines which cost a fortune...

just my opinion, so never mind

NoName

Settler
Apr 9, 2012
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSsRunJ2K4&sns=em

Actually carbon can be taken out of coals

Carbon steel is at least 1000 years old

An carbon steel blade can be made with a 5 euro workshop in any backyard. Please check the book 5 dollar knife shop and references of blacksmith in remote jungle areas.

Not forcing any opinions but the home craft in o1 steel is realistic .
As in cpm 3v totally unrealistic..

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVSsRunJ2K4&sns=em

Actually carbon can be taken out of coals

You can get carbon from coal. But you will be better off using charcoal, it has fewer impurities...

That said, you aren't putting carbon into the steel, you're reducing it. The chemical reaction in the smelting process is:

FeO + C -> Fe + CO

The process is not perfect, so some of the carbon added to the smelter to reduce the iron oxide alloys itself to the metallic iron.

A typical modern cast iron will contain 2-4% carbon, but through processing of this iron through the bessimer process, you reduce the carbon content down to 1% or below, and thus make steel. You don't put the carbon into the steel.

Coal is used in modern smelting via the interim stage of coking. Taking the coal, and cooking it to remove all the impurities (making coal tar + coal gas), and producing coke. This coke is then used in the smelting process. Smelting of steel produces obscene quantities of green house gases. It's not good for the environment. It would be greener if they used charcoal, rather than coke, but producing enough charcoal for the amount of steel made world wide would require considerable deforestation...

Carbon steel is at least 1000 years old

Much older. The process of smelting iron as used for millenia will produce a lump of iron that contains varying concentrations of carbon, meaning that you will get some bits of carbon steel and some bits of iron. The skilled smelter can take the slug of iron from the smelter and separate out the steel from the iron.

An carbon steel blade can be made with a 5 euro workshop in any backyard. Please check the book 5 dollar knife shop and references of blacksmith in remote jungle areas.

Not forcing any opinions but the home craft in o1 steel is realistic .
As in cpm 3v totally unrealistic..

The home craft of anything is possible, given the right inclination, time and funding. Whether it is a good idea is another matter.

Simple living
More hapiness

Define simple. Define happiness.

J

joshiecole

Apr 30, 2012
london
If I were you I would consider a couple of other European steels. CPM3V gets a lot of noise because the majority of the makers and buyers and forums seem to be in the US. But having bought a bunch of 3V a couple of years back for a chopper, I would probably recommend some other steels now.

When you consider the all the aspects of performance that you're trying to maximise strength, toughness, edge stability, fineness of edge -- I would put up 80crv2, A8 Mod, and S1 Modified (1.2604), against it.

Mors is right, 3V doesn't have the best edge stability and it doesn't take the finest edge. It's also not possible to heat treat in the home shop. Most makers outsource it to professional heat treaters, and this costs about 60 quid a kilo (for 3V) in the UK. The strength of 3v is maintaining a workable, but not razor edge for a long time.

It's worth remembering that low alloy steels take the finest edges and can often be kept sharp with a strop.

A8 modified is basically what Busse tweak to make Infi, which isn't the best steel for smaller blades, but for larger blades has been the standard to beat for well over a decade.

Roman Landes works with modified S1 for his choppers.

80crv2 and S1 Mod can be easily heat treated in the forge or home oven. A8 mod is going to be a bit more tricky because of all that chrome. (but possible of course).

Hope that helps a bit.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE