filing moras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
is it essential (as stated on the woodlore site) to file the top of mora blades for firelighting?

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
The reason filing the back is recommended is to square the spine for use with a fire steel - many knives including the Mora's come with a slightly rounded spin and a better spark is produced if you file the first (handle end) inch or so so that it is square.

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
thanks guys ,looking foward to trying my first bushcraft sharp,shiny thing-it feels so right in my grubby wee paw-should i worry?

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
ronso said:
thanks guys ,looking foward to trying my first bushcraft sharp,shiny thing-it feels so right in my grubby wee paw-should i worry?
'we need wilderness because we are wild animals.every man needs a place where he can go crazy in peace'. ed abbey.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just used a rough stone or a brick , as long as it's slightly rough then it does the trick...

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
a bit off topic but has anyone else noticed Moras coming with one of the worse burrs around? I've only delt wiyth a few and all from woodlore but they have all had work needed with a stone to get rid of the burr. I don't really see it as a problem as it shows you how to sharpen them.

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I recently picked up three Frosts Swedish Army Knives, the green handle variety in stainless steel. The spines of all three were too rounded to spark well. They had an unfinshed, stamped look to them that didn't bite into the firesteel. I squared off the spines with a fine mill file and now they spark very well. They also look better as the spine has a uniform appearance.

These knives are intended as companions to a machete on a three day course I teach (informally). They spark so well I put a BSA Hotspark in the wrist lanyard of each of them. As they arrived you wouldn't have guessed they'd make good sparkers. Mac

ronsos

Forager
Dec 10, 2004
I tried new mora unfiled on my fire steel yesterday -would have got a better spark using a cucumber- made do with my folder. will file mora (made good fire sticks though)tommorow.thanks for all the replies

allenko

Forager
Sep 24, 2003
Leicestershire
Hmmmm Bizzarre, I have two Frosts Mora training knifes (black hard plastic laminated types) and Gary just sent me a Classic Mora (red stained birch a la Kochanski fame)

And all of em (spine wise) are square :shock:

Someone will have to post a picture of a round version for us to see

RobertsonPau

Tenderfoot
Dec 7, 2004
North Yorkshire,UK
I got my Mora knife from the Woodlore site, the green handled jobbies for about £10. The one I got is a high carbon tool steel blade, that is stamped out from sheet. The spine was very round, after ten minutes with the file the spine is square and casts a shed load of sparks from fire sticks, and ive even managed a couple from flint.

I've seen them for sale on a couple of surplus sites as Swedish army issue, but I don't know how true that is.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE